Pennzoil Dino or Chevron Supreme Dino?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the Val 20W50, it's not just the brand, but the weight. The clunker truck which we used to this weight in left us a year ago. Nothing I have now should use a 20W50. 15W40 MAX.

The synthetics-leaking issue was a problem with early PAO synthetics like Mobil 1. Newer ester-fortified formulas have largely eliminated this.

--- Bror Jace

I use the Chevron in my Tercel (10W-30), and the Penn (5W-20) in my MPV. The Penn contains 70% group III base stock (but only in the 5W-20 weight) and it contains moly. If all weights of Penn were composed as such, I'd use it all around, but they're not, so I use the Chevron in the heavier weights.

I care. I just picked up a 5 litre jug Pennzoil 5W30 Purebase SL dino to mix with 10W30 version for use after a 2nd Auto-Rx go in my Outback. I ran Delvac 1, a pretty good 'cleaning' oil I when I bought it and then Auto-RX for 500 miles/800kms. Definitely not long enough. Then Redline for 8,000kms which is meant to be a better cleaner, it did get pretty dirty. I didn't expect hardly any further cleaning after Redline. Pennzoil SL dino again and 2nd bottle Auto-RX. After 2500kms I checked the oil this morning. Bugger me its like chocolate sauce, I gotta get it outa there pronto (tomorrow hopefully). Can't wait to see the oil filter. Engine has done 75,000kms of mainly highway running. I'm now seriously considering a 3rd clean. IMO engines get 'dirty' a lot quicker than we realise. Any comments?

How does Motorcraft stack up against Chevron and Pennzoil? I remember Johnny (Pennzoil guy) telling us that Pennzoil and Motorcraft basestocks were from the same place, and both group II+.

I am trying to decide between Motorcraft, Pennzoil, and Chevron 10W-30.

Well, you know I'm going to suggest Pennzoil. The Pennzoil and Motorcraft both use the same Group II+ base stock that comes from the Excel Paralubes refinery. Motorcraft being made by Conoco. Pennzoil has the moly, the Shellvis VI improver and a different additive package. All Pennzoil multivis oils , 5W30, 10W30, 10W40, 20W50, 25W50 racing, and 15W40 are made from this basestock, with the same VI improver and the moly. The 15W40 has the more severe additive package for diesel applications. The 5W20 is the same but is a blend of Group II+ and Group III basestock. There are a lot of good oils out there, you just have to pick the one that you believe works best for you.

I'd vote for Pennzoil but after visiting a Costco yesterday and finding a whole crate full of Chevron 10w30 I might check it out to see what the buzz is all about. Either way I guess you won't go wrong. I used Pennzoil in my new minivan and drove it all over Arizona in 100+ temps. So far so good.

Good luck!
smile.gif

[ June 24, 2003, 11:32 AM: Message edited by: kiko ]

I would say Chevron because it is a bit cheaper but I just looked in the Sunday newspaper and Kragen has Pennzoil at 69 cents a quart. I'd go for Pennzoil over Chevron because of the moly though Chevron isn't bad stuff.

I just like the idea of having moly plated up in the engine.
wink.gif

1. What is "hydrocracked?"

2. Please explain to me the "major" differences between the Chevron and Pennzoil? Is it just the moly? If price didn't make any difference, it seems most of you would use Pennzoil, right?

From what ive read, the only difference between the chevron and Pennzoil is that Pennzoil is Group II+ and Chevron is group II and that difference is small. That "small" difference is in basestock VI and purity and this is due to the londer time it spends in the hydrocraker.

Group III is done by spending more time at a higher temp. (thus more cost but, VERY small). I like the Pennzoil and I just put some of the Diesel 15w-40 in my dad's 94 maxima SOHC V6 and he really digs it. I was impressed with it actually. I also had Chevron Delo 400 15w-40 in my mom's 90' sentra and it ran great.

after a little over 3K miles it still looked okay and couldve prolly gone another 1500miles. Im gonna do a UOA on hers (now using Delvac 1300 15w-40) and dads maxima.

I don't think Penzoil is worth the extra change. Im my area Walmart always has the Chevron Supreme for 1.08. The Pennzoil is $1.77 except for the 5W20 which is $1.97.

I use six quarts per change which comes to 4.14. That pays for my filter and a cup of coffee. I'm not cheap but I don't think the difference in price is justfied based on what I have read. Also, I can often find ChevronTexaco Havoline (same as the Chevron Supreme) for .99 on sale and sometimes even .69 (although I only saw the .69 once).

I thought the Chevron Supreme "isosyn" was Group II+?
confused.gif

But I still think the Pennzoil has a better additive package.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Well, you know I'm going to suggest Pennzoil. The Pennzoil and Motorcraft both use the same Group II+ base stock that comes from the Excel Paralubes refinery. Motorcraft being made by Conoco. Pennzoil has the moly, the Shellvis VI improver and a different additive package. All Pennzoil multivis oils , 5W30, 10W30, 10W40, 20W50, 25W50 racing, and 15W40 are made from this basestock, with the same VI improver and the moly. The 15W40 has the more severe additive package for diesel applications. The 5W20 is the same but is a blend of Group II+ and Group III basestock. There are a lot of good oils out there, you just have to pick the one that you believe works best for you.

How about the Pennz High Mileage oils?

quote:

Also, I can often find ChevronTexaco Havoline (same as the Chevron Supreme) for .99 on sale and sometimes even .69 (although I only saw the .69 once).

I still want to know if these oils are the SAME. I am using the $.69/qt ChevronTexaco Havoline 10W-30 in my 5.0 Ford right now.

I have switched to the Chevron Supreme 10W-30 in my new Impala.I was told by Schaeffer's to get some more miles on the engine before useing their's so in the mean time I'm useing the Chevron and am going to try the Delo 400 15W-40 in my 69 Big Block Chevelle.

novadude,

I dont have easy access to the Havoline but I am planning a VOA with the Chevron Supreme 10W-30 just as soon as the kits arive from Blackstone's.After searching I couldnt seem to find a VOA on it so I will post it once it's done.

Calvin... I'll be looking forward to the VOA!

offtopic.gif

'69 Chevelle, eh? I have a '65 Nova 327 (hence the user name), and my dad has a black '70 Chevelle SS396 convertible. Mom drives a '69 Chevelle SS replica (350) to work everyday. The '69 has been the "family car" since the mid-80's when I was in high school. I learned to drive in that car.
smile.gif

novedude,

Wow...Sounds like a nice collection.Around here the early Nova's are now hard to get.Just a few years ago you could get a V8 Nova like yours for a few hundred bucks....Now you cant touch a 6 cyl Nova for under 6K!... That pretty cool your mom drives a car like that.Sounds like your parents appreciate the old Iron!

Mine's a transplant and not an SS car.I've had it for decades and put the BB in it several years ago.
offtopic.gif

[ June 25, 2003, 10:20 AM: Message edited by: Calvin ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back