Pennzoil cheaper than SuperTech at my local Walmart.

Not sure if the same pricing applies at all Walmarts but I was at the location in Clarkston WA today picking up some 0w20 for dad's truck and SuperTech was $26.something for a 5 quart jug and Pennzoil was $21.something for a 5 quart jug. The PZ single quart bottles were also cheaper than ST across all grades by about $2.

$26 is for the Super Tech 20K mile motor oil. $21 is for the Pennzoil Full Synthetic, not the "Pure Plus" GTL motor oil. None of the viscosities of the Pennzoil Full Synthetic meets dexos1 at this time either. I'm sure it's still a fine oil if that approval isn't needed. I've used it.

Last edited:
Even Pennzoil Platinum is a couple bucks cheaper than Super Tech 20K 😮. I'm just surprised that WM would market a super premium 20k oil.

Who got bought by an equity firm?

I could be wrong on every aspect:

When you have an equity firm buyout a company that is the result. 14 people benefit and millions are screwed.
That is ********. Our entire retirement system is built around people having ownership of equities and bonds. Pension funds, personal IRAs, and 401Ks are all heavily invested in public companies. The entire population who is willing to participate in these retirement vehicles benefits when their capital is put to use.

Free market , you mean when the government says who can buy what company

A regulated economy isn't necessarily a bad thing. I'd much rather have the system we have now vs. what we had prior to The Great Depression. Reasonable people can disagree about the rules but unfettered capital markets were not good for anyone. At the time, the uber-rich of the day stepped in and tried to act when markets collapsed (JP Morgan). They also got together and worked behind doors to regulate markets themselves. These days we would call it market manipulation and they did profit from it but they also stabilized the excesses.

Last edited:
That is ********. Our entire retirement system is built around people having ownership of equities and bonds. Pension funds, personal IRAs, and 401Ks are all heavily invested in public companies. The entire population who is willing to participate in these retirement vehicles benefits when their capital is put to use.
Unfortunately anybody who has stock investments, either a mutual fund or index fund, is at least somewhat to blame for publicly held companies’ focus on short term profits. Now, if a hedge fund is the SOLE investor, that’s a different story.

That I understand, but what I don't understand is how an equity firm in Chicago buying Warren Distribution caused ST to go up so much in price. I think that's was your statement.

That I understand, but what I don't understand is how an equity firm in Chicago buying Warren Distribution caused ST to go up so much in price. I think that's was your statement.

There is more to the story than we know here. One possibility is that contracts may have been rewritten as part of the sale to new ownership.

Highline Warren now touts itself as the biggest manufacturer of windshield washer fluids with their acquisition of RainX.

It was a LEVERAGED buy out by the family of the governor of Illinois.
Who got bought by an equity firm?

Back