Pennzoil black label vs Supertech’s offerings

I’ve always leaned towards using Shell products mostly because I’ve never had any reason to switch. I’ve been using RGT in the vehicles I service but my stash is starting to run low and it has become unavailable locally.

The marketing for the new PFS is not exactly confidence inspiring as they mention entry level every chance they get. I also have not seen anything more than the PDS as far as available info on this product and it’s not certified for Dexos 1 Gen 2(I don’t need a product to meet this spec, I’ve just used it as an assurance that the product is high quality in the past)even though their previous syn blend was certified.

Then there’s Supertech syn, hm syn and advanced syn. All in the same price range as PFS and all Dexos certified. So what would you choose? All opinions welcome and any information or links greatly appreciated!

Vehicles I service are an 11 F150 4x4 3.5 EB 160k miles, 12 F150 4x4 3.5 EB 90k miles and a 17 Explorer AWD 3.5 EB 70k miles.

I would go with STFS because of the Dexos certs. Whether or not you choose high mileage is up to you, it's virtually identical to the regular mileage according to VOA's.

STAFS is targeted to 20k mile intervals. I would rather put that extra $2 in to a better filter unless your '17 explorer calls for an OCI >10,000 miles.

Quaker State Full Synthetic (formerly Ultimate Durability) is also Dexos approved in the same price range with
PFS is a solution for a problem that didn't exist.

Maybe, but some service providers have agreements to only use certain lubricant brands.
Right, Jiffy Lube is a good example.

Why SOPUS didn't just "white label" QSUD for that specific purpose is beyond me. I thought they would have learned their lesson about filling niche market segments from the RGT flop.

I'm sure SOPUS is aiming at phasing out PYB long-term with PFS, or at least that's my interpretation based on what I've been seeing at my local Walmart.

I think BP had a great idea with opening the Castrol "Classic" line. I'm curious to see how they pivot GTX (which will probably end up in the same segment as PFS and Mobil Full Synthetic)

---
But to wrap back on topic, all "value" synthetics (STFS, QSFS, PFS, and Havoline Pro DS) will all cover Ford's requirements.

Once upon a time I used to buy this Black Label product but I can't find it anymore;

1624399851999.png

It's an entry level synthetic meant to be more competitive with the store brand, I guessView attachment 61170
Thanks, I’ve been away from the oil addiction for a half decade. Wife and I both bought new cars in 16&17 so I haven’t diy changed in 5 years. Does valvoline offer an entry level synthetic like this? I know Mobil does.

Thanks, I’ve been away from the oil addiction for a half decade. Wife and I both bought new cars in 16&17 so I haven’t diy changed in 5 years. Does valvoline offer an entry level synthetic like this? I know Mobil does.
Not really, although they aren't shy about being the supplier for Napa, I guess if you catch Napa Full Syn on sale, that's like getting entry level valvoline.

Back