Pennzoil “Designed for Your Drive”

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a marketing expert but I suppose this strategy is aimed at the bulk population that wants to walk into a store and see "Hybrid oil, I have a Hybrid let me grab this" and walk out. This stuff doesn't appeal to people on this forum that understand oil better than the general public. If the DIY market is shrinking though, will this work?

Originally Posted by buster
I'm not a marketing expert but I suppose this strategy is aimed at the bulk population that wants to walk into a store and see "Hybrid oil, I have a Hybrid let me grab this" and walk out. This stuff doesn't appeal to people on this forum that understand oil better than the general public. If the DIY market is shrinking though, will this work?

In a word No. There are some companies that need to get rid of the family members in the Marketing department and move on.

One thing I can think of is the Pennzoil quick lube places where the customer drives in with a hybrid and tells the tech they want hybrid oil.

The dumbing down of society continues on.

Originally Posted by PimTac

One thing I can think of is the Pennzoil quick lube places where the customer drives in with a hybrid and tells the tech they want hybrid oil.

Yes pretty soon they'll have their own Lingo and it'll be similar to what you hear at the local Latte stand!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Yes pretty soon they'll have their own Lingo and it'll be similar to what you hear at the local Latte stand!

Pronoun oil?🤔...‚

I remember the days when it was just Mobil 1 and that was it. Pick your grade and go.

I remember the days when there was no choice of grade in Mobil1!

Yeah, a couple days ago I was looking up a filter on the Walmart digital screen … a woman (late 20's) was actually reading the back of oil jugs. After a few she called her mom for advice … No marketing reached out and grabbed her, LoL.

I'm laughing at all of them and admit it's been hard walking past RGT and VME (got 1 change) deals to build my huge M1 AP stash … but knowing it's 60-70% PAO, tons of antioxidants etc, and $15/jug … the others can wait …

The guy behind the counter (yesterday) said he waited a couple days and cleaned out all of the 0w20 for himself having a 20% employee discount on top of clearance price.
This is how it ends most often for me … (Empty bin) … not this time.

Originally Posted by LubeFiner
I was checking out the Pennzoil website and noticed they now offer four new full synthetic products: Extended Care, Start/Stop Protection, Maximum Power, & Hybrid. Does anyone know if these are an expansion of the line or are they replacing older products? Any thoughts on the new formulations?

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/designed-for-your-drive.html

It's Marketing and Advertising.

Figured they would come out with an extended run version at some point …
curious to know what changed in the formula

I would really like more brands to go the "all mileage" route.

"Mobil 1. For life."

"Maximum protection for the life of your vehicle."

Or something.

Major brands have major brand recognition. By introducing a million variations they run the risk of diluting the brand. They pay people other than me to make those decisions though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BLND1

Major brands have major brand recognition. By introducing a million variations they run the risk of diluting the brand.

My thought also- and with too many choices you also get analysis to paralysis.

I remember the days when it was just Mobil 1 and that was it. Pick your grade and go.

AMEN!

*Who will devote the shelf space for all these new series of oils ? ...Certainly not WM !
I want SOPUS to make me a GDI specific oil which excels in putting up with soot and fuel dilution ... Wait a minute - they already do : It's called Pennzoil Platinum run for a 5K mile OCI (lol !)

Originally Posted by BLND1
I would really like more brands to go the "all mileage" route.

"Mobil 1. For life."

"Maximum protection for the life of your vehicle."

Or something.

Major brands have major brand recognition. By introducing a million variations they run the risk of diluting the brand. They pay people other than me to make those decisions though.

We had that 20 years ago when all we had was conventional oil and synthetic. Valvoline started the madness with Maxlife and its been downhill from there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back