Pennzoil 5w30, LC, 11,557 mi, 97 Dodge Neon: Exc!

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, this a really good report. PennZoil bashers(& LC doubters!), you’re gonna have one heckuva time explaining this one!
grin.gif

Previous fill was PennZoil 10w30 SL, 6,874 miles, no analysis done. This time around, no Interstate driving, seldom a one way trip longer than 35 miles or so, & *lots* of little short hops that never properly warmed up the oil. A couple (or more) of 45-70 mile round trips a month did a pretty good job of cooking out the condensation, I guess. A fellow BITOG member gave me this oil, I can’t remember his name to save my life & have no record of it, PM’s gone long ago. Thank you, if you’re still here on BITOG please speak up!

Used about 5.5 oz of Lube Control at fill, but only added booster doses of 1 to 1.5 oz three times, I think. Should have been 10 times!

*Car: 1997 Dodge Neon Sport 2.0 L DOHC 5-sp manual
*Oil: PennZoil 5w30 SL dino, in the good ole yellow bottle
*Oil additive: Lube Control, 5.5 oz at fill, but only 3 booster doses added. Mea Culpa!
*Fill: Nov. 20, 2004, at 175,427 miles
*Drain: Jan 9, 2006 at 186,984 miles
*Interval: 13 ½ months: 11,557 miles
*Oil Filter: AC-Delco UltraGuard Gold UPF-53, same filter for entire interval
*Air Filter: K&N drop-in, untouched during interval. Works well in my car, huh?
wink.gif

*Top-up oil added: about 22-24 oz total, all Pennzoil
grin.gif

*Fuel: Virtually all Chevron Plus from same station. Fuel Power used but only for last ~2K miles of this interval. As before in this car, FP added 1 to 1 ½ mpg consistently.

Analysis by: Schaeffer Labs

Report, wear metals & additives in PPM:
Copper: 8
Iron: 11
Chromium: 0
Aluminum: 3
Lead: 1
Molybdenum: 66
Phosphorus: 728
Zinc: 889
Magnesium: 18
Calcium: 1842
Anti-Freeze: 0.0%
Fuel Dilution: N(ormal) (% not given)
H2O: 0.0%
Silicon (ppm): 4
grin.gif
Go K&N!
Viscosity CST: 9.01
SAE: 20W
Sulfur: 0%
Oxidation: 10%
Nitration: 24% (these 3, of 100% allowable)
TBN not measured

Lab Comments: “Contamination and depletion levels normal. Maintain current oil drain interval.”
grin.gif

Yes, the oil sheared down to a 20W- just *barely*, it was still a full 9 CST. It did a great job of protecting my engine for about *double* its intended life. And this was *5*w30, supposedly less shear-stable than 10w30, especially with dino oils. The shear down to 9, a high-end 20W? With wear numbers like that, after over 11,000 miles, I say, “Who cares?
wink.gif

Folks, for the type of driving in this interval I think this is a great report. Remember, when I ran Schaeffer for 15 K & only got 4 ppm iron, that was over 75% highway & interstate cruising. Believe me, I was really relieved to read this report today- no foolin’!

Current fill is BobZoil 5w30 SL, with about 5.5 oz of Lube Control, the last of my AC Delco UltraGuard Gold UPF-53 filters, & the same untouched K&N air filter.

Comments &/or suggestions welcome. Thanks again to the donor of this oil And Johnny: the next time someone bashes PennZoil, I’d be delighted if you used this report to bash ‘em right back! For Odis & the folks at Lube Control, same thing!

[ January 27, 2006, 03:10 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Hughes ]

Actually I don't put a ton of faith in oxidation #'s.

Please don't take me wrong - this is a great report, as was your Oct 03 report. You car sheds very little metal.

That's just excellent, Stuart!
cheers.gif

In all seriousness, have you ever had a bad report from your Neon? I know they're 'only' Mopars and 'only econoboxes' but I think these are really durable cars.

EDIT: BTW, I've never had a K&N show me a bad report, either. Not even in my farm pickup.

quote:

A fellow BITOG member gave me this oil, I can’t remember his name to save my life & have no record of it, PM’s gone long ago. Thank you, if you’re still here on BITOG please speak up!

Stuart,

I was the one who met you in Greenville. Great report. I'm glad to see that Pennzoil holding up so well. I'm still around.

Brian

Doh!
pat.gif
Brian! You're absolutely right, your name is Brian!
grin.gif
Many thanks for the Pennzoil & filters, the last of the PZ is in Mom's car now.

Hi Patman! I bought the car new, & after owning it for about a month, the original plan was to drive it for 250,000 miles. I may raise that to 300,000.
wink.gif

Bulwnkl; I guess that's true, every analysis done on the Neon has been good. IMO, Neons are the "Rodney Dangerfield" of cars- they get no respect! With bare-minimum maintenance, they are very durable little beasts. Now discontinued, they should be cheap on the used car market. Hey, did you know that seasons 1, 2, and 3 of the old Rocky & Bullwinkle cartoons are available on DVD now? I have the first two seasons of "Moose and Squirrel"!
grin.gif
Get 'em, and let your kids or grandkids watch some Good cartoons.
burnout.gif

I can't imagine ever doing this myself but kudos to the Pennzoil!! No question, it went beyond all possible expectations for a dino. Come to think of it, there were a bunch of guys in bright yellow jackets visiting the Elves in der Schwarzwald...when I asked who they were one of the little guys said they were a bunch of "pinheads." I should have realized I was misunderstanding him because the Elves don't ever call people demeaning names...now I understand...he was saying "Pennheads." See how there is a logical explanation for things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back