pennzoil 5w20 mix with STP oil treatment (zinc)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello everyone, i have an acura rl, and i'm interest in using pennzoil 5w20 because of the nice additive package in that oil. but the 5w20 is pretty thin and lacking zinc, would you recommend i add half a bottle of STP engine/oil treatment, since that the stp stuff main additive is zinc. this would thicken up the 5w20 a little bit + add more zinc to the pennzoil 5w20.

this is the pennzoil 5w20 VOA posted by Cdavidc1949:

aluminum 1
iron 1
molybdenum 186
boron 68
silicon 3
sodium 1
calcium 1856
magnesium 5
phosphorus 672
zinc 785
all other levels were 0

vis sus@210 52.4
flash point 445
TBN 7.0

i'm interest in getting at least a 5k interval from this mixture, or 7.5k is even better.

would you please comment?

If it was me, I would try the Valvoline Maxlife additive. I have been very tempted to use it. It has Zinc and Moly. If you just want the Zinc, get the Super Tech from Wally World....it's the same thing, just cheaper.
Rick

I would rather use Auto-RX instead of STP Oil Treatment. Go to the FTC web site and you will see where STP Corporation was fined twice for false advertising.

Zinc levels are being reduced in new vehicles to prevent cat convertor damage. And Moly, in molecular form, can replace Zinc to some extent. A motor oil like Schaeffer's has plenty of it.

I would rather use the Pennzoil 5W-20 and Auto-RX cleaning to keep the engine clean. In fact, Auto-RX is rapidly becoming the only oil supplement that I will use.

You might could thicken it up with 10/30 Pennzoil with some degree of success better than the STP .

In OTC additives you might look at the platinum colored bottle of Valvoline Synpower for 2.99 - 3.99 @ Autozones ect. I believe it to be a better additive than the red bottled one per the MSDS it has 60 percent or so PAO along with moly ect.

Check it out , the MSDS is on the Valvoline site.

Why not just try the 5w20 on it's own first, and see how the UOA looks before deciding if you need to doctor it up or not.

If you do end up deciding to thicken it up, try using Schaeffer's 132 first.

The STP additive would add a big dose of cheap, shear-unstable thickener (which defeats the purpose of the 5W20) and some zinc phosphate which an oil with nearly 200PPM of moly doesn't need.

I think the Pennzoil 5W20 will work on its own provided you don't stretch the oil interval out too far (past 5,000 miles). The STP probably won't give you any added protection and may help sludge up the motor over time.

--- Bror Jace

The Pennzoil 5W-20 will work fine by itself. I am using it in my Honda Civic and the first analysis showed little wear. You might want to add a quart of 10W30 in the summer months.

Either buy an oil which has an additive pack you actually like or try the Pennzoil 5w20 as is first and see how it does. It will likely hold its own just fine. Adding an additive to "thicken" a 5w20 defeats the whole purpose of using a relatively shear stable 5w20.

i have a feeling that the thin oil will cause more engine noise. i had mobil 1 10w30 in the RL b4, and when i add half a bottle of stp, my engine seem to run much better and quieter. + this stuff is very sticky and slippery.

CL,
Pennzoil is a top-shelf dino oil and recent UOA's prove it. But for 7,500 miles use Amsoil 0w-30. Heck, it will go 12,000 miles and then some.

Why muck around with weird additives on top of dino oil when a good synthetic will offer top-notch protection to your engine, keep things really clean, and will remain shear stable easily past 12000 miles?

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
The STP additive would add a big dose of cheap, shear-unstable thickener (which defeats the purpose of the 5W20) and some zinc phosphate which an oil with nearly 200PPM of moly doesn't need.
[/B]

what type of zinc does an oil with 200+ppm moly require?
how many types of zinc adds are there?

"i have a feeling that the thin oil will cause more engine noise. I had mobil 1 10w30 in the RL b4, and when I add half a bottle of stp, my engine seem to run much better and quieter. + this stuff is very sticky and slippery.

A heavier oil will usually make an engine run a bit quieter. However, quieter does not necessarily mean "better."

If you do a search of "5W20" in the used oil analysis, you'll see this stuff is really holding it's own and showing very little wear. Plus, each of the manufacturers have tweaked their 5W20 adding Group III oil and (usually) a lot more molybdenum.
smile.gif

I'm still against STP oil treatment having seen how this stuff can be sheared down quickly in an air-cooled engine I have. I'd rather add a quart of 10W30 if you just can't sleep at night knowing your engine has really thin oil in it.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
Why not just try the 5w20 on it's own first, and see how the UOA looks before deciding if you need to doctor it up or not.

If you do end up deciding to thicken it up, try using Schaeffer's 132 first.

This is my opinion too. Try it first alone, then try it with some #132 if you're not satisfied...

[ December 08, 2003, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back