lol.gif

lol.gif
grin.gif

So, Let me get this correct Buster..

I want high count UOAs!
cheers.gif

Ok..
rolleyes.gif

I'll let Terry know since he reads alot of my low count UOAs and says they are great..

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill, I am very pleased to see yet another great UOA from an inexpensive oil.

My grandfather used to make the claim of walking to school, up hill, both ways. I think that you may be traveling on the other side of his road. You know, down hill, both ways. I am curious about how many of those 4,910 miles were coasting, engine off.

Just kidding, obviously great report.

The oil might not be showing all of the wear that is actually occurring. That was the point but obviously some on here have no clue.
wink.gif

Do you really think $20 UOA's tell the whole story?
wink.gif
If it were that easy....
lol.gif

XOM has said that when switching to a high detergent oil or ester based oil wear metals can spike bc the oil is keeping things in suspension rather then floathing around the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

wink.gif
If it were that easy....
lol.gif

XOM has said that when switching to a high detergent oil or ester based oil wear metals can spike bc the oil is keeping things in suspension rather then floathing around the engine.

ya, let's do one of those $1000 oil breakdown test. that will make alot of sense.
tongue.gif
The cheap UOAs are good for fuel dilution, dirt, and coolant contamination. I don't really care much for wear metals between oils. Especially where I've seen too much variation between labs on the same used oil.

That was my point Cutehumor, thanks.
wink.gif
People on here are worried about differences of 2ppm on a particular metal. It's an illness.

What is really remarkable about this UOA is that you added absolutely nothing to the cheap Penzoil dino. Stellar report without the fancy chemicals.
worshippy.gif

Why would one consider a 20 weight oil if the 5W-30 thins out in 20 weight territory anyway? Would the 5W-20 then thin in the 7 Cst range?
dunno.gif

GMorg is maybe kidding but you may have a point;
Bill, where is your workplace from your house? If it is located to the east, with dominant westerly winds in our latitudes, you may actually be driving with a tail wind most of the time to get to work but face only calm winds on your way back at 2 AM as winds are usually very light at night on days with no particular weather systems. Just a thought.
burnout.gif

Bill,
1. Congrats on your UOA report, they just don't get better than that.
2. All that near-nonexistant wear, and over 40 mpg too?!? I'm jealous, my antique Neon only gets 35-36 mpg at its best.
3. *400* qts of 5w30 oil? Holy cow!
freak2.gif

4. As far as shearing into a 20W, with wear #'s like that, who cares?

You have several different brands of 5w30, yes? Maybe you can trade some of it for 5w30 Pennzoil! I abused that oil badly in my car(11.5 K, 13mo), & it still performed well.

quote:

Originally posted by Stuart Hughes:
Bill,
1. Congrats on your UOA report, they just don't get better than that.
2. All that near-nonexistant wear, and over 40 mpg too?!? I'm jealous, my antique Neon only gets 35-36 mpg at its best.
3. *400* qts of 5w30 oil? Holy cow!
4. As far as shearing into a 20W, with wear #'s like that, who cares?

You have several different brands of 5w30, yes? Maybe you can trade some of it for 5w30 Pennzoil! I abused that oil badly in my car(11.5 K, 13mo), & it still performed well.

Yeah, I think the UOA is pretty good.

I agree, with UOAs like this one, it can shear to 10wt and I really would not care.

The car gets excellent MPG!
cheers.gif
I filled up tonight and had 451 miles on the tank. It took 10.35 gallons for a MPG of 43.57!
worshippy.gif

Just think what It would get if I ran Syn!
lol.gif
(and I have a few times with no difference)

I just wanted to do a run with the following; (since I get some comments about this)

1. Wanted just pure Dino of one brand. It had to be the 2nd run of it so there was no change of the last oil messing with the results.

2. No additives. No LC, No FP, No injector cleaner, zip.

3. Prefer a colder time of year since it's harder on the oil for startups and thats when the wear happens.

4. Quite a bit of short trips in the mix. Short like less than 2 miles at a time.

Got all those covered.
smile.gif

Have not taken inventory yet. But I'm prob in the 350-400 5w-30 range.. Rest would be 10w-30.

The next UOA will be either QS, Chevron or Halovine. I've got enough Castrol UOAs.

The Pennzoil did well! I have a little bit of it left
grin.gif

quote:

Bill, where is your workplace from your house? If it is located to the east, with dominant westerly winds in our latitudes, you may actually be driving with a tail wind most of the time to get to work but face only calm winds on your way back at 2 AM as winds are usually very light at night on days with no particular weather systems. Just a thought

I drive to the north on the way to work (and had high winds today, (Blew trailers on their sides right in front of me!) and then south. The winds here go up the Canyons durning the day and reverse at night. So I get side winds more of the time. At 2 am, the one canyon is getting 20-25mph winds pretty well every night..

I don't think it's making too much change of MPG.

I just drive it around 70 mph which is 2800 RPM on cruise the whole way.

Buy the cheapest gas from a station that sells alot of gas ($2.59 tonight and will be $2.69 this am.. How do I know? Because every other station in town went up to $2.69
mad.gif
.. When I went to work, they all were $2.59 except the Chevron which is $2.79)

I'm really happy with this car.
fruit.gif
The amount of miles I have to drive and the cost of gas thank goodness that I have it!

quote:

Buster, if it made some Redline, GC, Mobil 1 look good then they are showing how good the oil is doing.

If it's for a cheap conventional oil, then you get what you pay for... $20 UOA could not be worth anything..

I've seen these comments here on this board more than once..

I'm very happy with this UOA. It's proving that I am doing great with my oil and engine use.

Thanks all for your replies! Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
The oil might not be showing all of the wear that is actually occurring. That was the point but obviously some on here have no clue.
wink.gif

wink.gif
If it were that easy....
lol.gif

Anything to justify the fact that oil costing 50 cents compared to 4 or 5 bucks a quart did great.

If UOA don't show all the wear, I cringe at how much wear is actually in some of the Mobil 1 and Redline results that have been posted
shocked.gif
lol.gif

quote:

sleeping.gif

I'm not trying to be an jerk Buster, but come on! I thought it was the cleaning affect
pat.gif
It's either particles in suspension, the cleaning affect, or UOA doesn't matter.
banghead.gif

Where's Fueltankerman to really stir up the pot!

Uh, conventional Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, Chevron, Havoline, etc, etc, etc, has just as much detergents and dispersants in it as anything XOM makes. They are all classified high detergent oils. It is these detergents and dispersants that keeps things in suspension and it keeps them "floating" around which is what you want. What you don't want is for the particals to settle and collect. No base stock including esters will do this by itself. You have to add the detergents and dispersants.

Just a thought. I didn't come up with this idea to strike down good dino reports. What Johnny said makes sense so I'd feel good about this report.

"Buster, if it made some Redline, GC, Mobil 1 look good then they are showing how good the oil is doing.

If it's for a cheap conventional oil, then you get what you pay for... $20 UOA could not be worth anything..

I'm very happy with this UOA. It's proving that I am doing great with my oil and engine use."
============================================================

Bill, if it's not expensive, it's no good. Haven't you gotten the memo?

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
"Buster, if it made some Redline, GC, Mobil 1 look good then they are showing how good the oil is doing.

I'm very happy with this UOA. It's proving that I am doing great with my oil and engine use."
============================================================

Bill, if it's not expensive, it's no good. Haven't you gotten the memo?

Groucho, Your killing me!
lol.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Uh, conventional Pennzoil, Quaker State, Castrol, Chevron, Havoline, etc, etc, etc, has just as much detergents and dispersants in it as anything XOM makes. They are all classified high detergent oils. It is these detergents and dispersants that keeps things in suspension and it keeps them "floating" around which is what you want. What you don't want is for the particals to settle and collect. No base stock including esters will do this by itself. You have to add the detergents and dispersants.

Thanks Johnny!
cheers.gif

Buster, No problem.
cheers.gif
wink.gif

It's just that when there is a UOA like above for a 5k run of Mobil 1 or GC or whatever, it's magic.

I really wanted to make sure that this UOA was ONLY the oil.

Nothing else so others would comment " look it's the xxx you put in sure made that cheap conventional oil do good "...
rolleyes.gif

Take care! Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Used oil results don't give the full picture, don't tell you how well
an oil is actually performing within an engine or protection being
offered. They just give you a glimpse of small particles that likely
do not represent significant component wear . These test results are
generally +/- 20%, are measuring parts per million not larger
particle sizes, these results can easily be misinterpreted.

They do provide some useful information, they typically will give a
viscosity that can be compared to the original plus an idea of
general internal engine condition etc. Just not a good comparison to
two different oils performance or protection offered.

The results vary substantially between one engine and another as well
as different driving conditions etc.

There is certainly much more than what can be seen by these fairly
limited tests.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

And those are some cheap answers GM.
wink.gif

Try doing some reading first before posting.
wink.gif

Oh, and the girlfriend is doing great. Thanks for asking.
tongue.gif

Congratulations Bill, great report.
cheers.gif

A well built engine driven gently (for MPGs) with 97% of the miles on the highway. Approximately 27 miles/cold start. Looks like easy service to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back