Pennzoil 5w-30 Dino Toyota 1.8l 4,910 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Additionally buster, I will not stand by and have you, and some (marketing?) guy from Redline, impugn the abilities of Terry Dyson and other qualified tribologists for the sake of disqualifying some very fine petroleuem products from the scope of discussion on this board.

Good day, sir!
wink.gif

I have no issues with all the fine dino oils and reports. I do question the ability of a $20 UOA to accurately show engine wear based on some of the things I have read. Two oils on here, M1 and RL, show avg results via UOA's, yet those that use the product and have the $$ to do more expensive tear downs, love both. I also think that many that run dino oils over long drains run the risk of increased deposits/sludge and will be a good canidate for AutoRx down the road. As I said before, the SM GF-4 oils are outstanding and very well tested.

If i were to base my opinion of RL solely on BITOG UOA's, I'd stay clear from it. Yet, RL's reputation is second to none in the high performance/racing crowd. Their website shows many of the people using it and most are the most succesful at what they do.

The pimping is so transparent...
nono.gif

Buster
patriot.gif
( a well respected Dyson oil analysis customer) but no expert says: "I do question the ability of a $20 UOA to accurately show engine wear based on some of the things I have read."

I will flavor that idea and statement up a bit and say that I question any oil analysis report that does not get properly interpreted ( time, unit and lube data base comparison, and experience) or its just a bunch of numbers. The old Dog watching TV analogy.

RL discounts basic UOA because their formulas are hard to interpret! So the average Joe dismiss's the results here.

Specialty Formulations are as hard or harder to calibrate for and as ALL the lube formulators change add packs to new and less familiar chemistries it will get more difficult to grasp.

Conventional oils in engines (specifically low wear indications we see here in this Toyota/Pennzoil result) "can" develop shorter term low wear indications. Especially lower solvency lubes which after a time period see deposits that hide under varnish coatings. Thus using Auto-RX periodically and LC in small doses frequently! Or variations of that theme based on PROPERLY interpreted oil analysis results.

Our new premium kit used Atomic Absorption spectro which is very accurate, within 2-5 ppm. Inductive coupled Plasma spectro from Blackstone labs is probably right behind that level of accuracy. 5 ppm or so.

Oil adds especially phosphorus can be less accurate, ours is 15%. Wear levels are very tight though.

Hope that helps a bit. Even though Bill didn't use our services for this run, it looks darn accurate to me.

Terry, while I may doubt a lot of what I see on here, that doesn't mean I doubt your interpretations. That is why I'm glad you are here and also why I will be sending you my 12k mile RL 5w-20 UOA in the fall.
smile.gif

BTW, RL does use oil analysis a lot as Dave has stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back