Pennzoil 5w-30 Dino Toyota 1.8l 4,910 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok,

Latest UOA from Butler.

Miles on Car is 39910. Miles on oil 4,910.

No oil added durning OCI. No LC. Just Yellow Bottle Pennzoil with Purlator(sp) filter. Oil change before was pennzoil too.

Car is driven 60+ miles one way highway (I drive about 2 miles to freeway, 58 miles at 65-75 mph so about 2800-3000 RPM) then 1 miles to work. Reverse home at 2am.

Also 5-7 short trips a week of less than a 2 miles one way.

Wire also commutes 20+ miles with it one way 2-3 times a week.

Temps in the single digits to 30s. Car is outside and started in the coldest time of the night.

And on with the numbers...
code:

Copper - 0

Iron - 4

Chrome - 0

Nickel - 0

TI - 0

V - 0

Silver - 0

Lead - 0

Tin - 0

Al - 2

Silicon- 4

Sodium - 3

Potass - 0

Moly - 67

Boron - 101

Barium - 0

Calcium- 2127

Magnes - 11

Mangan - 4

Phosph - 828

Antimon- 0

Zinc - 967

Soot - 0

Sulf - 26

Oxid - 41

Nitr - 58

ZDDP - -0.02

Visc SAE - 20

Visc cST @ 100c - 8.7

PQ 19

Anti freeze - Neg

Fuel - Neg

Water - Neg

Changed oil and filter to Castrol GTX and Supertech 4967 filter on this run.

Car is doing well, still no complaints and never been back to the dealer ship for anything.

MPG has been above 40mpg durning this run and running whatever is on sale from gas stations that do business (ie move alot of gas).

No FP either.

Thanks in advance for any comments!
worshippy.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill, great report. As a new Vibe owner of one day, I hope my UOA numbers are just as great as yours. Just curious, how did you break in your engine?
cheers.gif

I almost hate to ask this sinde it's my nature and training to doubt everything I see but I'll ask anyway.Bill do you have complete confidence in all those zero's the lab results indicate? Almost 5K and absolutely no wear at all on anything except very low levels of iron and aluminum? If so then I'd say this Pennzoil "5W20" performed very, very good.

[ March 24, 2006, 12:14 PM: Message edited by: farrarfan1 ]

quote:

That's a great report.

Thanks! I have to say that the Pennzoil did do good.

Esp for winter months.
tongue.gif

quote:

Oil sheared in your favor (good for winter and MPG). Toyotas show such great wear with highway driving, your engine will last forever.

It did shear. But it looks like it not affecting wear.

I think we will all agree that the Timing chain in this engine is harder on the oil when compaired to a belt?

Also, it does see some short trips but it does show that if you do drive it short trips, the highway driving does burn off the stuff that the short trips put in there I think...

quote:

Looks about the same report as mine...scary

Yeah, Yours did not shear but it looks like these engines WILL run very well on a good oil.

quote:

Bill, great report. As a new Vibe owner of one day, I hope my UOA numbers are just as great as yours. Just curious, how did you break in your engine?

I bought the car with about 250 miles on it. It was a dealer trade with another dealer in Idaho. So about 200 miles of the 250 were highway 70-75 I'd say. I put on about 35 miles test driving it.

After that, we just drove it. varied speeds and drove at 60 mph in 4th for a few mins here and there. It's NEVER seen over 5k since I've owned it and only a few times seen that. I'd say it seen 4k maybe 10 times in it's life.

Most of the time, we shift below 3k and drive easy. The reason is we try to drive for MPG. Thats the reason for buying a Corolla for us. We need it to last at least 10 years so 300k.

We put the miles on it over our Truck.

quote:

Wow, this UOA could be mistaken for a VOA! Nice!

Thanks Patman! For well under a buck oil, I think the UOA was good. (sad I'm spending 3 times the oil and filter cost for UOAs!.. My wife thinks I'm totally crazy... Ok, she has made a good call..
gr_eek2.gif
)

quote:

Bill do you have complete confidence in all those zero's the lab results indicate? Almost 5K and absolutely no wear at all on anything except very low levels of iron and aluminum? If so then I'd say this Pennzoil "5W20" performed very, very good.

I do. Why? This is the 6th one I've had butler do and the previous ones had shown wear.

The UOAs I've done with this engine have been done with Castrol Syntec Blend, a Blend of Castrol Syntec and blend (50/50), Mobil Drive clean, Mobil 1, Castrol GTX and Pennzoil.

Of all those, the pennzoil has done the best and esp when you consider the season run IMO.

Again, it did shear. But I'm not worried as the metals were excellent and the oil looked very well coming out.

Here is the photo of the oil on the dipstick that this UOA is from:

How many miles on this oil?

I have NO worries about any concern of having a dirty engine or any sludge.

For around $5 for a oil change (or one quart of full Syn oil) incl the $3 oil filter, you really can't (IMO) beat changing the oil every 4-5k and get on with it.
cheers.gif

I think buying $5 a quart oil and changing it out every 3-5k is just a major waste of $$$.
dunno.gif

quote:

Man, that shearing just scares me but it obviously doesn't hurt a thing. Bill, would you consider a 5,000 mile run of a shear stable 5w-20???

Drew, Nope. Why, I've got more than enough 5w-30 in my stash
grin.gif
(I think around 400 quarts of 5w-30) and it's doing great. Plus the manual and cap says 5w-30 and I have receipts just in case of warrenty problems (which the powertrain warrenty is now 2/3rd gone..).

I really think the shearing is ok. I've seen it many times now with my UOAs and it seems not to matter. The engine is tight, the filters are clean, the MPG is excellent and it's a smooth running unit.

I think that 5w-20 would be ok to run but the 5w-20 I have in the stash is for my Dads Honda powered Vue.

The last few UOAs on this engine are here;

Castrol GTX

And here; (this one shows all the others from 1k miles up to Mobil 1 run.

all other oils

Thanks again for the replies!
worshippy.gif

I think my plan of running this car and it's oil changes is going to work.

My 1896 Jetta has just turned over 270k miles and it's still running perfect and my sister in Law is going to keep running it until it starts to become a problem. So, I'm hoping that it sees 400k or maybe 500k!
shocked.gif

May be this Toyota will run up that far? I sure hope so since we both love it. Nice ride and it's just amazing that it knocks off 40+ mpg and feels like it does.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Zaedock:
Hey Bill, all I can say is...nice outfit!
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Thanks!

Now if I could take care of the 3-4 dozen rock chips on the front end and the badly cracked windsheild...

Since I don't have to inspect the car this year I'm going to drive with the cracked windsheild. It would not pass but the 3 cracks from 1 hit is out of our eyesite (along the top of the windsheild).

The rock chips just get waxed alot... Not too much I can do sadly.
frown.gif

But it is a great car. I like filling it up at 450 miles and taking $20-25
grin.gif

Thanks again!

Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Man, that shearing just scares me but it obviously doesn't hurt a thing. Bill, would you consider a 5,000 mile run of a shear stable 5w-20???

quote:

Originally posted by farrarfan1:
I almost hate to ask this sinde it's my nature and training to doubt everything I see but I'll ask anyway.Bill do you have complete confidence in all those zero's the lab results indicate? Almost 5K and absolutely no wear at all on anything except very low levels of iron and aluminum? If so then I'd say this Pennzoil "5W20" performed very, very good.

I had my UOA done by Blackstone and the "Zeros" are almost identical to my report...

Goose's Matrix UOA

Goose
patriot.gif

With the previous UOA's on this engine I can see it spits out "0's" pretty regularly. I recalled a thread from a while back that had a lot of 0 readings and it raised a few questions about the accuracy of the lab results. I did not mean to question the integrity of Butler at all. I remember the late Mark too well.Do they coat the innards of those motors with ceramic? Nice report.

quote:

Originally posted by Slick17601:
If this was Havoline no one would question the "0's". Well done Bill
cheers.gif

Thanks slick!
cheers.gif

Yeah, or if it was Mobil 1 or GC, even more people would be commenting... We have seen this before..
rolleyes.gif

I have to say now with 1k on this oil change, my engine was a little quieter with Pennzoil than the Castrol GTX I'm running now. Not a big difference, but at a stoplight, I can hear slighty more...
gr_eek2.gif

My plan is to run this GTX out, change it and put another GTX and then UOA it. Of course, the UOA will not be able to compaired to this one since the weather is warming up.
dunno.gif

quote:

Another excellent Toyota UOA.Great numbers.

Thanks 62!
cheers.gif

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Bill (and Bill's wife) - we all appreciate the oil analyses, even if they cost more than the oil itself. Consider it a charitable act for the benefit of mankind!

Wow this stuff thinned out to 8.7cSt and still did great. I'd be thinking a good 5W20 would work in this car.

I wonder though, since Redline 5W20 has a viscosity of 9.1 and is stable viscosity wise, you could get away with that too?

Hmmm

I wonder though if the "0's" we see are simply bc the oil (usually dino) isn't keeping a lot of things in suspension like a PAO/Ester based oil would. These great dino reports could be misleading. Something to always consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back