Pennzoil 5w-20 basestocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really thought this oil was a group III product and the MSDS seems to bear this out from what I see and how I interpit it . Apparently it's not even a blended group formula ...just one basestock used

http://msds.walmartstores.com/msds/index.html

Just type in Pennzoil and find it in the list .

Also , those hard to come by Castrol Syntec MSDS's are there as well denoting use of at least some Slack Wax and PAO and an ester and of course...group III

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
I never really thought this oil was a group III product and the MSDS seems to bear this out from what I see and how I interpit it . Apparently it's not even a blended group formula ...just one basestock used

You can't tell from a MSDS whether the base oil is Group II, II+, or III because the CAS# is the same for all three of these if we're talking about typical hydrocracked/isodewaxed base stocks. The only Group III that has a unique CAS# is a wax isomerate like Shell's XHVI or ExxonMobil's ExxSyn: 92062-09-4.

Also, note on the Castrol sheets that it says "may contain one or more of the following." That, of course, means that it may NOT contain PAO and/or a wax isomerate. And given Syntec's extremely high pour point, I'd say that if there is any PAO in it, it's a very tiny amount.

Edit: I couldn't find a MSDS for Pennzoil 5w20 in the list.
dunno.gif

[ April 25, 2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: G-Man II ]

quote:

It says not less than 90% Hydrotreated Heavy Paraffinic going off memory .

Again, this description can refer to Group II, II+, or III. There is no way to tell.

quote:

How bout if I was to describe an email from Pennzoil stating the basestocks used in the plain 5w-20 , 5w-20 synblend and the 5w-20 synthetic ?
smile.gif

The plain yellow bottle 1.24 per quart Pennzoil 5w-20 is group II ...only

I've seen this e-mail and forwarded its contents to Johnny. He has assured me that he will get to the bottom of this ASAP and get back to me. Stay tuned...
smile.gif

I wish we could get to the bottom of if or not the Quaker State Synthetic was PAO like the MSDS suggests
smile.gif

Hey Johnny , could I ask a favor ?
patriot.gif

Second thought , I'd think if Shell was going to use any synthetic basestock for new and upcoming OTC PCMO's they make it would be their own and it would be the new EOP .

Thoughts ?

So, motorbike it the plain yellow is g2 only what are the base stocks in the blend and syn. g2/g3, G3 respectively? You may as well finish your though.

r.

Yep group II for the yellow bottle 1.24 a quart oil " makes sense huh?... II/III for the blend and group III for the oil marketed as a .....Synthetic
smile.gif

However as G-man said, stay tuned .

Well it seems those of us in marketing are the last ones to find out when technical changes are made. I just spent over an hour on the phone with different folks in our R&D, blending, and technical departments. Here is the info as of today 4/26/04. All of this went into effect on 6/5/02.

PENNZOIL:

5W20, 5W30, 10W30, 10W40, 20W50, and LongLife 15W40 in the YELLOW bottle are all made with Group II+ base stocks.

High Mileage Oil is Group II+ with a small amount of ester for seal conditioning.

SUV Blends are made from Group II+ & Group III base stocks.

Synthetic is made with Group III base stock.

QUAKER STATE:

5W20 is made with Group II+ base stock.

5W30, 10W30, 10W40, and 20W50 are made with Group II base stocks.

High Mileage Oil is Group II+ with some ester as above.

Synthetic Blend and 4X4 are Group II+ & Group III.

Full Synthetic is Group III. NO PAO.

Shell is doing some work on an EOA synthetic but no plans to release it this year.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
Well it seems those of us in marketing are the last ones to find out when technical changes are made. I just spent over an hour on the phone with different folks in our R&D, blending, and technical departments. Here is the info as of today 4/26/04. All of this went into effect on 6/5/02.

PENNZOIL:

High Mileage Oil is Group II+ with a small amount of ester for seal conditioning.

QUAKER STATE:

High Mileage Oil is Group II+ with some ester as above.

The MSDS shows the Pennzoil HM to have group II and Solvent Dewaxed CAS 64742-65-0

Most all but the Mobil HM are built this way in terms of basestocks used to include that killer Citgo Ultra life
cool.gif

The Q-State High Mileage has no group II per the MSDS only the Solvent Dewaxed but that might just be the Q-State thing considering the synthetic MSDS

Looking forward to seeing the new Shell basestock released and someone building a groovy motor oil out of it though ,,, please keep us up to date on that one
cheers.gif

[ April 26, 2004, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny:
PENNZOIL:

5W20, 5W30, 10W30, 10W40, 20W50, and LongLife 15W40 in the YELLOW bottle are all made with Group II+ base stocks.

They must be producing better Group II base stocks now. When word first got out about Ford's requirements for their 5w20 the buzz in the industry was that some Group III was going to have to be used in order to meet it, and I believe that was the case early on. Now, I guess they can do it with just Group II+.

Seems like Molakule did mention that Group II's had gotten better in a post about Conoco/Motorcraft 5w20.
dunno.gif

How bout if I was to describe an email from Pennzoil stating the basestocks used in the plain 5w-20 , 5w-20 synblend and the 5w-20 synthetic ?
smile.gif

The plain yellow bottle 1.24 per quart Pennzoil 5w-20 is group II ...only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back