Pennzoil 10W-30, 6,500 miles, 2003 Mazda Tribute

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Mazda Tribute 3.0L V-6, 137,300 miles at OC;

Pennzoil 10W-30 + 0.5 quart 'Motomaster' OS initial fill with a Fram PH2 filter;

Top-off: 0.5 Motomaster 5W-20 (FS 5W-20) + 10oz. Wynn's Engine Tune-Up - note this, b/c both should have thined the oil down;

6,500 mile OCI, driving an equal mix of everything - idling, short trips, long highway runs...

Fe 22
Cr 0
Mo 0
Al 3
Cu 5
Pb 1
Sn 0
Ti 0
Ni 0
Ag 0
Si 3
Na 8
K 1
Zn 941
Mg 9
P 942
Ba 0
B 0
Ca 1904
Mn 3
V 0

Soot 6
Sulp 21
Oxid 21
Nitr 11

Visc 12.51
TBN 3.50

I had the lab re-run this UOA, as I thought they gave me the wrong results, but they came back the same.

I installed 10W-30 YB from a bottle bought at WM in July, and it was new SN stuff...so I don't know WHAT's going on here - additives are way off, and visc. is off the charts!

I had the sample taken at a QL, so they could have mucked it up, but I was the only one there, and they handed me a warm oil sample, so it must have come from my engine...?

Results aren't bad, but I don't believe them!

I know, I know...I outlined my concerns to the lab, and they sent me back basically the same report.

Discouraged, to say the least.

First question....What Lab performed the UOA on the sample?

Did you check the oil jug when you purchased it??

Make sure the PYB was not tampered with.....from what I've read some "people" purchase the oil and then take out the good oil and fill with used oil or inferior bad oil.....then go back to WM for a return.

Buyer beware......

Toromont-Cat did the analysis, never had a problem with them so far..

I broke the seal on the new jug of SN PYB 10W-30, and it was new clean oil...

They've always tested for moly, just recently added Boron and Calcium tests.

...maybe Canadian PYB is junk with nothing in it?

I can't see that happening - at least don't try to make me panic about my oil.
wink.gif

I've got a PYB 5w-30 sample ready to send away from the G for a UOA for the heck of it. I just have to get around to it. There shouldn't be any odd numbers from residual other oils, since there were a few PYB changes before that, and all from the same box, too.

The first time I looked at your report, I didn't see the Mo, that's why I assumed they didn't test for it. Of course, I now see it's shown as 0. Yep, that's odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back