Pennz Plat Euro 0W-40, 8227mi, '10 Civic Si

Status
Not open for further replies.
this analysis comes after almost exactly 1 year of service. i grabbed a 5qt jug of this oil on a great sale and decided to give it a shot after a promising result from Mobil1 0W-40 the time before. the onboard oil change minder typically calls it quits around 6,000 miles, but i decided to run it out farther this go around to see how things panned out. really pleased overall and the tiny bit of lead doesn't concern me at such a low PPM. this run was paired with an OEM Honda A01 filter (bought a multipack of 6 so they'll be used for a few more years). the entire drivetrain is stock all the way down to the air filter. the current fill has M1 0W-40 back in it after another buy on sale.

[Linked Image]

i'm pretty content to call it quits at this mileage so i can just conveniently remember to do an annual oil change, but if circumstances dictate maybe i'll stretch it out to a 10k mile change someday.

this car sees a lot of everything as its my daily driver, from multi-state road trips idling in traffic to spirited driving and even some motorsports events. it gets worked hard but it never misses a beat. very pleased with the way the PP Euro stayed in grade and lack of any metal readings of consequence. also happy about how well the intake managed filtration, considering some of the dust it saw at a local rallycross:
[Linked Image]

after draining the oil for this analysis, it was also time for a valve lash adjustment at 102k miles. popped the cover off and things were looking pretty sparkly. love these K series engines.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Originally Posted by Mike Thompson
Scary the similarities with the Mobil 0-40.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing!
smile.gif

agreed on both counts. i'll just buy whatever's cheapest and run it with confidence.

smile.gif

Too close for me to call … might have to bring in MACT !

Originally Posted by ScottyB

smile.gif

agreed on both counts. i'll just buy whatever's cheapest and run it with confidence.

Good call because both worked very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back