Pennz or synthetic for an old 5.7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Wife just bought a 1992 Buick Roadmaster rear wheel drive with a 5.7 V-8 and 105,000 miles.

She drives 3,000 to 4,000 mostly road miles a year. In the past, I'd change her cars oil every six months with Pennz dino.

Would you say with Pennz every six months or go with Mobil 1 or German Castrol once a year?

Personally I would stick with the 6 month changes using Pennzoil. It is readily available and you are in the same situation I am with a Mazda. About 4K a year. I do yearly changes using synthetics. (The car had one long trip this year so 4K came quick. It is a 2000 with 16K)

cheers.gif

If you go with the Pennzoil, I'd recommend their 10w40, it would be a good match for the 350 Chevy, much better than 5w30 or 10w30.

I totally agree with Pat in regards to that the 10w-40 is a better fit for this 350 application, but what about cold pumping performance in those Minnesota winters?

quote:

Originally posted by Jelly:
I totally agree with Pat in regards to that the 10w-40 is a better fit for this 350 application, but what about cold pumping performance in those Minnesota winters?

In that case, maybe the right recipe here would be to run Pennzoil 10w40 from April to November, then run 5w30 from November to April. I didn't orginally take into account the extreme cold of Minnesota.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
In that case, maybe the right recipe here would be to run Pennzoil 10w40 from April to November, then run 5w30 from November to April.

Agree. Granted, that means 1,500-2,000 mile OCI's, but you'll only have to do it twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back