Pennz Long Life 0W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may try Pennz Long Life 0W30 as my Winter oil in my 5.0 V8 Cadillac. According to the Pennz site, it's a blend and sounds good for Minnesota -30F days.

Any recomendations.

Where did you find this stuff on Pennzoil's site? I just went there and can't find it. Can you provide the link to the info?

I've been running Pennzoil OW30 LL in my 5.0L Olds for a over a month now. So far so good, and I haven't noticed any consumption. We haven't had any really cold days here yet (a few mornings around freezing), but I have noticed the oil pressure seems to build faster compared to the dino 10W30 I had in before this LL.

If you can find it in your area (I had to get it from my local Pennzoil gealer), give it a try and I think you will be happy with the results.

A lot of people think that a 0w30 oil is overkill, especially if the area you live in doesn't get much below freezing too often, but you can definitely see lower startup oil pressure with a 0w oil compared to a 5w or 10w oil. This is a major benefit, as it will allow your oil filter to get out of bypass mode much sooner.

And as Oldswagon mentioned, the oil pressure moves up faster on the cold start, indicating the oil is flowing quicker than the 5w or 10w oil he was using before.

I've definitely noticed both of these things in my Firebird since switching to 0w30 from 5w30. My wife's Honda has no oil pressure gauge, but as I mentioned in another thread, her engine is much quieter on the cold starts now with 0w30.

I think 0w20, 0w30 and 0w40 oils are the wave of the future, and we'll be seeing more of them introduced in the coming years.

It's all about the flow man!
smile.gif

[ October 20, 2003, 09:51 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Patman;

I took a second look on the Pennzoil site and see the Long Life fact sheet is listed under Pennzoil International, and then under Canada. So it may not be available in the US.

[ October 20, 2003, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Ironthinker ]

I'll have to keep my eyes open up here to see if it starts showing up on the shelves of Walmart or Canadian Tire.

Another thing I noticed about this oil is that the car seems to reach operating temperature much faster. I have two Olds 5.0L V8's, one with 15W40 LL (summer only) and the other with 0W30 LL (all year). I still haven't put my summer vehicle away yet (I will be at the beginning of Nov), and I have notice on the cooler mornings around freezing lately that the car with the 15W40 seems to take about twice as long to heat up verses the other car with the 0W30. Both these engines are identical, and have identical cooling systems.

Patman:

I don't think it will show up on the shelves of Wal Mart or CTC anytime soon. Like I said, I had to go to the local Pennzoil dealer to get some and even then the guy had to look it up in the book (he had know idea what it was). The stuff I got is still the older SJ/CG-4 formulation. Seems to be pretty good stuff though: uses a significant amount of PAO, has the good HD LL additive package, and has a 11.8 CST viscosty at 100*C while a pour point of -51*C. This stuff has better cold weather specs than any of Pennzoils full synthetics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back