Penn. YB, 6,200 mi., 03 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 Toyota Corolla 1.8 liter 4-cyl.
Pennzoil YB 5w-30
Purolator filter
OCI: 6,200

Blackstones Comments:
You ran this Pennzoil 6,200 miles which is 1,000 miles longer than the previous sample and engine wear remained steady. It appears your Toyota likes the stuff. The TBN was 1.8 meaning there was a little active additive left. The oil's viscosity was in the 5w/20 range likely due to the .8% of gas we found in the sample. The low viscosity and gas didn't harm anything. We think you could try 7,000 miles for your next sample.

Aluminum- 1
Chromium- 0
Iron- 3
Copper- 0
Lead- 2
Tin- 0
Moly- 26
Nickel- 0
Manganese-0
Silver- 0
Potassium-2
Boron- 43
Silicon- 6
Calcium- 1869
Magnesium-10
Phosph- 626
Zinc- 817
Barium- 0

SUS Visc. 210- 54.2
cST Visc. 100- 8.54
Flashpoint- 350
TBN- 1.8
Insolubles- .3%

Overall, I'm extremely happy with the YB. Sample was take when the engine was cold (oops). Air filter has been changed since then. And I'm NOT going 7,000 on the next change. Infact, I'll cut it back to 6,000K even.

Yeah, I wouldn't go to 7K either. In fact, this pretty much verifies my belief that conventional oils, even very good ones like Pennzoil YB, are better changed before 6000 miles on most cars. Personally, roughly 5000 miles is my OCI...

Excellent report.
thumbsup2.gif
Better than most of mine.

What type of use does the car get?

Auto or Manual?

How many total miles on car?

What oil filter and what months was this OCI?

I know a lot of questions.
grin2.gif

I'd run it to 7k with no problems looking at this report. A Blackstone TBN of 1.0 is still safe according to someone who reads my UOAs and is trusted here.

I'm running my 05 Corolla to 7,500 miles with any conventional right now. In fact, I'll have 8,000 miles on this OCI since I've got to run to ST George later today.

Nice report! Thanks for posting!

Bill

PS: A 6k run would be VERY safe... Pennzoil YB is a excellent value! (as most conventional oils are)

Thanks Bill,

The corolla is an automatic.
Miles on her- 182,267
Oil filter- Purolator 14476 (I think that's the number?)
Car is probably ran 70% highway, 30% in town- 600 miles a week.

Originally Posted By: genynnc
Thanks Bill,

Miles on her- 182,267

Proves my point thank you!

Correct number for the filter.

I'm going to get a UOA soon just to see how my engine is doing (I have about 133K on my 05) and may be will spring for a TBN....

Take care, Bill

PS: oops.. one more question.. Any make up oil?

No make up oil at all. I checked the dipstick before drain, the car uses absolutely no oil- really pleased with the corolla. I've simply changed plugs, two sets of tires, a few transmission filter and fluid changes, an idler pulley, air filters and that's it. Although next month I'll put on new struts all around and lash the valves (kinda making a slight noise up top) and a small sound out noise out of the constant velocity joint (I think, so I'll repair that too)

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah

I'd run it to 7k with no problems looking at this report.
Bill

PS: A 6k run would be VERY safe... Pennzoil YB is a excellent value! (as most conventional oils are)
Yea like Bill said you could. But also like he said 6000 is safe. I'd probably go "safe" with conventional oil. Other than the TBN/dilution it looks like new oil. Great report.

I hope you enjoy driving that Toyota, because if you keep getting wear numbers like this, that engine is going to last forever!!
thumbsup2.gif

Fantastic report! Pennzoil YB continues to show consistently good results.

we always change our 05 auto corolla with 125k miles at 5k miles. she isnt easy on the pedal as far as getting up to speed. 5k for conventional is getting your $'s worth imo.. i like that lil car. its easy to work on. however i can tell the quaility is a little down than previous toyotas imo..

Thanks Bill,

Miles on her- 182,267

Wow, 180k.

The UOA report is fine and you can certainly push it to 7500 miles if you desire.

Also, what transmission fluid do you run in your Corolla?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Thanks Bill,

Miles on her- 182,267

Wow, 180k.

The UOA report is fine and you can certainly push it to 7500 miles if you desire.

Also, what transmission fluid do you run in your Corolla?

we run T4 in hers. i drain and fill (approx 3.5-4.2 qts) every 3-4 oil changes... at 124k hers does very well. it will burn some oil at higher speeds but if you drive it normal at 5k miles it uses very very little oil. maybe 1/8th of a quart

Reports like these are what create the new generation of syn-haters
56.gif

Excellent numbers and a perfect length of OCI, leaving some oil life buffer to extend when life demands it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back