Penn Euro L 5w30 or Val MST 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having another child on the way, ive decided go try little affordable oil instead high end dollars (Amsoil, Schaffers or M1 0w40 ESP etc).

Penn Euro L 5w30 ($22.xx at Walmart) or Valvoline MST 5w40 (when sale go on its $5.xx/qt at Napa) or Castrol 0w40 (i know its not Dexos but ive been reading its pretty good oil for money) Which one do you recommend?

Its Camaro LT1 DI (10qts) and i also added catch can. Many short trips in very early in morning and i get on it hard whenever i have a open space.

Thank you

Why not use a regular Pennzoil Platinum that's rated to maintain your engine's warranty? It's only $22.68 at WM as well... PP 5W30 is D1G2 and checks all the boxes those other two oils meet.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Why not use a regular Pennzoil Platinum that's rated to maintain your engine's warranty? It's only $22.68 at WM as well... PP 5W30 is D1G2 and checks all the boxes those other two oils meet.

Why not Pennzoil Euro L 5w30? Is PP 5w30 is better?

Pennzoil Euro L is a low-SAPS oil, and if you do not live in an area and use gasoline with less than 10ppm sulfur, you will be changing it very frequently because it does not have enough TBN to neutralize the sulfur, which will create acids in your crankcase, and eat away at everything the oil touches.

Platinum is formulated with more SAPS and can better deal with the sulfur levels, especially if you're looking to slightly stretch your buck with longer OCIs and want to keep your nice ride well, nice, for a long time.

Originally Posted by s2krunner
Having another child on the way, ive decided go try little affordable oil instead high end dollars (Amsoil, Schaffers or M1 0w40 ESP etc).

Penn Euro L 5w30 ($22.xx at Walmart) or Valvoline MST 5w40 (when sale go on its $5.xx/qt at Napa) or Castrol 0w40 (i know its not Dexos but ive been reading its pretty good oil for money) Which one do you recommend?

Its Camaro LT1 DI (10qts) and i also added catch can. Many short trips in very early in morning and i get on it hard whenever i have a open space.

Thank you

Of all those Castrol 0W40 is better than any, including Amsoil, Schaffers and M1 0W40 ESP.
Castrol is affordable in Wal mart for other reasons not because it is not sophisticated. In Europe goes for $20 a liter!

My Corvette has the same LT1 engine, just with a smaller 7 quart wet sump, and I'd personally choose the Euro L 5w30 over the Valvoline 5w40 MST if those were my two choices.

It's kind of a gray area in terms of warranty coverage, but I don't think GM would raise too much of a fuss if you ran a dexos2 5w30 instead of a dexos1 5w30. They might put up a bigger fuss if you went to a 5w40 dexos2 though (although I understand that oil might be listed as an approved choice for the 2019s)

It's my belief that the dexos2 oils are the better choice for these high performance direct injected engines, being low SAPS should hopefully keep the backs of the intake valves a bit cleaner, and I like the higher HTHS of these oils too.

I've said this before on here, but when my supply of M1 5w30 ESP Formula runs out I'm considering switching my Corvette over to Euro L 5w30.

And yes I have used the Euro L, as a matter of fact I have a thread with a VOA of it. I took quite the heckling for using it in an engine that requires a mid- to full-SAPS oil, and as such only ran it 3k before I drained it.

Euro L VOA

Thank you for sharing me your experience. I think Dexos oils are low/mid saps oil? Thats how I understood. No?

Originally Posted by Patman
My Corvette has the same LT1 engine, just with a smaller 7 quart wet sump, and I'd personally choose the Euro L 5w30 over the Valvoline 5w40 MST if those were my two choices.

It's kind of a gray area in terms of warranty coverage, but I don't think GM would raise too much of a fuss if you ran a dexos2 5w30 instead of a dexos1 5w30. They might put up a bigger fuss if you went to a 5w40 dexos2 though (although I understand that oil might be listed as an approved choice for the 2019s)

It's my belief that the dexos2 oils are the better choice for these high performance direct injected engines, being low SAPS should hopefully keep the backs of the intake valves a bit cleaner, and I like the higher HTHS of these oils too.

I've said this before on here, but when my supply of M1 5w30 ESP Formula runs out I'm considering switching my Corvette over to Euro L 5w30.

Thank you Patman,

I also agreed that Dexos2 oils are better choice. This is one of reason i have listed only two Dexos2 that can find from Walmart. I was really hoping i could use Castrol 0w40 or M1 Euro 0w40 but oh well.

Thank you Patman,

I also agreed that Dexos2 oils are better choice. This is one of reason i have listed only two Dexos2 that can find from Walmart. I was really hoping i could use Castrol 0w40 or M1 Euro 0w40 but oh well.

Castrol has other Dexos2 products, but question is how much you are willing to pay for oil? Castrol has 5W30 C3 oil available online, but in that engine I would say Wal Mart Dexos 2 oils would be sufficient.
I personally used Valvoline 5W40 MST in my BMW X5 35d since it has higher HTHS and lower NOCK compared to PP Euro L.

All of the oils mentioned here are very good oils, they have to be when you are talking about these specs. I am running the Valvoline MST 5w40 right now, but I am a long ways from a UOA on it. I believe the MST to be overlooked somewhat, as Valvoline lubes tend to be here, but it meets an impressive slew of approvals which is why I chose it. It's a mid-saps oil that seems to split the difference nicely.

My bottles of MST show approvals Dexos 2, MB 229.5, MB 229.51, VW 502 and 505 (both 00 and 01), BMW LL-04 and Porsche A40, so it is clearly stout stuff. Also as mentioned, it's frequently on sale at Napa for $4.99 a quart. It's nice to have a local purchase option, and it's also nice not to get soaked on the purchase price of additional quarts if otherwise buying a jug.

The only VW 504 oil I could find at all locally was PP Euro 0w30 LX, Advance Auto parts stocks it at a regular price of $9.99 a quart, no jugs.
frown.gif
Some members here have been able to get their local AAP to include it in oil change specials when they run PP on sale. That seems to be store dependent though, as it is not listed in the ads nor does it show to be included on the website.

S2K, if you are going "off-spec" per se, the Castrol 0W40 in the black bottle would be your best choice. It's got certifications for some of the strictest manufacturer's tests in the entire industry. However, it's usually $28/jug, and it doesn't meet any Dexos certs because of the 40wt rating. The A3/B4 certification tells you it has a TBN of at least 10.0 (it could be lower if Castrol specifies A3/B4-16, but they don't tell us which one on the PDS here ) so IMHO it is better suited to the normal higher-sulfur fuels that you are likely to find outside of major metropolises.

Product Performance Claims
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
API CF/SN
Meets Ford WSS-M2C937-A
MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5
Porsche A40
VW 502 00 / 505 00

The problem I have with M1 Euro 0w40 is it's high 1.3% sulfated ash content, I believe that would cause more intake valve deposits in DI applications. I also suspect Castrol 0w40 might suffer a similar fate (although I do believe it's a very good oil and I use in confidently in my wife's BMW)

S2K, if you are going "off-spec" per se, the Castrol 0W40 in the black bottle would be your best choice. It's got certifications for some of the strictest manufacturer's tests in the entire industry. However, it's usually $28/jug, and it doesn't meet any Dexos certs because of the 40wt rating. The A3/B4 certification tells you it has a TBN of at least 10.0 (it could be lower if Castrol specifies A3/B4-16, but they don't tell us which one on the PDS here ) so IMHO it is better suited to the normal higher-sulfur fuels that you are likely to find outside of major metropolises.

Product Performance Claims
ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
API CF/SN
Meets Ford WSS-M2C937-A
MB-Approval 229.3/ 229.5
Porsche A40
VW 502 00 / 505 00

I agreed. I also believe Castrol or M1 0w40 are great affordable performance oil. I never care about a warranty but this Dexos thing is kinda bothers me.
frown.gif

The problem I have with M1 Euro 0w40 is it's high 1.3% sulfated ash content, I believe that would cause more intake valve deposits in DI applications. I also suspect Castrol 0w40 might suffer a similar fate (although I do believe it's a very good oil and I use in confidently in my wife's BMW)

I hope my catch can take care of deposits!
smile.gif

Strong vote for PP Euro L 5W-30. It carries not just Dexos2, but also BMW LL-04 and Mercedes 229.51; Very stringent approvals. In addition, it's a GTL base-stock oil, which has benefits including low volatility and good cold flow properties. I've seen a few really good UOA results on here with it as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back