Peeling and Sagging Headliner

Alright so used a stapler and shot all the visible areas, let's see how long it would hold up based on the helpful folks here and this guy:

This is with $15 in spray adhesive and $15 in fabric.... Actually, probably less than that. Fabric came from JoAnn Fabrics (they have a limited selection of headliner fabric - the kind with the foam backing).

Hardest part might be getting the board out of the car.... It's easy on a little car with two large doors; not so much on a 4-door because the doors themselves aren't as big.

rV46hl.jpg

As a temporary, I simply ripped it all down and sanded/scraped off the foam. It left a fiber board above that which was nicely shaped and clean enough. Not luxury, sure, but nothing was flapping on my head as I drove.

no harm in attempting diy, and if it fails, going to an upholstery shop? What’s your appetite for risk/reward?

The Accord had a badly sagging headliner when I started driving it. I tried the first kind, twist pins I got at Walmart, but the straight part right up against the head of the pin didn't hold the headliner fabric to the board securely. I then went on amazon and bought these, similar to your second item and they work very well so far. Doesn't look great but the gray matches very well and functionally I can drive with the windows open again.

If I have continued issues I'll pull the whole board out, clean the foam off and get new fabric and some spray adhesive, but I'd rather not do that right now.

Back