Peeling and Sagging Headliner

For my Honda Civic, head liner inside the car is peeling off and with windows down, shedding foam sort of pieces.

Any tips to repair it with recommendation on type of sealant? Thank you

For my Honda Civic, head liner inside the car is peeling off and with windows down, shedding foam sort of pieces.

Any tips to repair it with recommendation on type of sealant? Thank you
3M used to sell a spray adhesive for fabric but it was decades ago when I used that for a headliner issue.

3M used to sell a spray adhesive for fabric but it was decades ago when I used that for a headliner issue.
Someone still sells it now.... Might be a Bondo-branded product now.

Replacing the headliner fabric is a good DIY project. Take some time and do it right; with some care it can look great.

This assumes you can get the backing board out of the car in one piece. I honestly don't know how they do it on big cars with small doors.

If it's a nice car, save yourself a lot of aggravation and remove the headliner and bring it to an upholstery to be recovered. $150 is money well spent as adhesive and fabric will still cost you $50, and $100 is worth it for professional looking job. Most DIY attempts look cobbled together at best.

085.jpg

084.JPG

Tacks until you decide on a complete headliner replacement. Adhesives won't work because it's the foam itself that broke down. The foam will continue to break apart while shedding the outside layer of adhesive with fabric on it and you'd be back where you started.

Tacks until you decide on a complete headliner replacement. Adhesives won't work because it's the foam itself that broke down. The foam will continue to break apart while shedding the outside layer of adhesive with fabric on it and you'd be back where you started.
Can stapler be used for "ghetto" short term work?

I did the headliner myself in my 94 Camaro probably 10 years ago or so. Still holding up without any issues and looks just like factory. Its definitely a bit time consuming to get it out and then make sure you do it all correctly but it will look great when finished. I used the 3M spray adhesive that was sold as for headliners and got the headliner fabric from a place online that sold the same color GM headliners used. Definitely take the time to fully prep the backing before you start spraying on the adhesive or you will end up with lumps.

Did my `07 Accord last summer. All you need is the roll of material and 2 cans of 3M spray adhesive. Takes lots of skill and time to get it right. Best bet is to take it to an Upholstery shop. Probably $400. Lots of YouTube videos if you want to do it yourself.

No sense wasting time or money on anything else but replacement. The foam on the backing broke down.

Can stapler be used for "ghetto" short term work?
A regular stapler will work just fine as long as you don't use something like a compressor powered staple gun that can bend the headliner board. It'll also be easy to remove along with the fabric when you replace the headliner. Go for it.

Thank you, have any experience with it and would it hold short term for it?

I've had the upholstery tacks in the Xterra headliner for years, doing fine. I had to drill a 1/16 hole for the tack to go into, couldn't go through the headliner on it's own. Put your left finger on the headliner where you want the hole and drill it right against your finger and hold the material up against the backer and screw the tack in. If you don't you'll never find the hole.

I've had the upholstery tacks in the Xterra headliner for years, doing fine. I had to drill a 1/16 hole for the tack to go into, couldn't go through the headliner on it's own. Put your left finger on the headliner where you want the hole and drill it right against your finger and hold the material up against the backer and screw the tack in. If you don't you'll never find the hole.
This is super helpful, thank you. How deep the hole roughly was? I am definitely leaning towards this or stapler option.

Curious, if there is any 'negative' consequence, like if later I want to have it replaced no ill effect due to stapler or tacks, yeah?

Back