Pediatric Dentistry question about baby teeth shedding schedule

Not asking medical advise, just general question to our dentist friends here.

1) Based on what I understand canine / cuspid shed and erupt before first premolar, but how come the schedule on the chart shows that first premolar is 1 year ahead of canine?

2) If a 10 1/2 year old girl has only 1 upper baby canine start getting wiggly, but not the other, and the X ray get the orthodontist / dentist concerned, and want to pull both of them out (to keep things balance), does it sound too early? or depends on whether the X ray shows the angle of the permanent canine starts going down straight or not (what is the typical schedule)? or whether the canine and its neighboring first premolar are blocking each other? What would be the typical time when it is concerning to the dentist / orthodontist to have baby canine pulled instead of letting them naturally fall out?

3) If I have a recent X ray and want a 2nd opinion from another pediatric dentist / orthodontist, can I request the x-ray from the prior dentist copied / transferred over? Not really a $ concern but rather radiation exposure minimization.

My opinion is to never ever pull anything prematurely. I work with a guy who's in his 30s and has a gap because of this. Wait for all permanent teeth to come in, and then if there's any concerns (once they're in their mid-teens) have them get braces. When I was growing up, orthodontists would put braces on kids who's mouths had not fully developed, only to have to get braces again later in adulthood.

Can you be more specific?
I went to the dentist 8 years ago and was told I had about $3000 worth of work that needed to be done. I decided to get a second opinion. The next dentist requested the x-rays from the first dentist. They drug their feet getting him the x-rays. After a check up and finally getting the x-rays, the second dentist determined that I had about $100 worth of work that needed to be done. The second dentist could have done new x-rays but wanted to see what the first dentist was using to justify the estimate. The first dentist had to send the x-rays to the next dentist even though they proved he was not being honest. I got the work done at the second dentist and had no further problems.

Last edited:
Back