Peaks Island ME

Last weekend I went to Peaks Island ME; My friend did all the arrangements from FL and I just enjoyed the trip.

Peaks Island is in Casco Bay ME (Portland) and is served by a car and people ferry hourly; the cost from a person round trip is Cars load, then people just stream on. Plenty of seating for people as there are 3 levels of seats on the ferry.

Drove up to Portland and parked my car in a paid lot in the Old Port (waterfront) Cost there was $15/day; Walked to the ferry and went over.

Stayed @ the Inn on Peaks Island which is within visibility of the ferry.

The island has a loop walking route which is clearly marked has access to beaches; the beaches are just "the shore" it isn't a park or anything.

Near the Inn there was an outdoor brickoven pizza place

and a Greek lunch truck and of course a few bars and small restaurants; no car is needed. Bikes and golf cars available to rent

Locals are accommodating but they clearly mark their boundaries. I saw a "enjoy the view from our property, but @ your own risk" sign @ a fuel oil company.
Island appears to have public water, a public school, library and USPS.

Overall a good day trip just to see the place; there isn't much to do but for $8 a good hike and a day on a beach is a bargain.

2c9c9c6b-1f5b-4429-bb26-92b51c796178.jpeg

Just walk onto the beach

9fafd763-7374-4dc9-9e56-749d58261415.jpeg

Fort Gorges from ferry

61b6e59c-9cf0-406e-9bb4-cc99fd653409.jpeg

The Greeks of Peaks

778837d4-852c-4091-9ed1-e15777d829e6.jpeg

Ferry and ramp; amazingly well kept.

IMG_0377.JPG

Maine shore in a nutshell (or seashell)

IMG_0388.JPG

From the Inn room looking over to portland

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. I lived in Maine for 10 years in the 60s and 70s, and have driven there 12 times since from Illinois. A very beautiful place. We do plan to drive up again in 6 weeks for a two week stay mostly in the Bath area. My wife is from Bath and still has a number of family there.

I lived in Hancock County, DownEast, summer of 1961 to summer of 1963. Lived in small coastal village of Corea. My son was born in Ellsworth (Maine Coast Memorial Hospital). Viewed Total Solar Eclipse, June 1963. As I remember it, Mainers were the friendliest people.

Back