Peak 5w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a 5.1 qt jug of Peak 5w30 and a Driveworks filter for 11.99 at Advance Auto. I normally run Maxlife and Purolator filters. With only a 3000 OCI, are there any concerns?

thanks

I was at AAP yesterday to get oil for my daughter's Cavalier and forgot to check that oil out. I wonder who makes it? Let us know how it works. I would guess at 3k OCI, it'd be fine.

I had Peak oil in my LS400 and S2000 a couple years ago from Pep Boys FAR. Those engines seems to run quieter with Peak oil than Havoline and Chevron Supreme, may be because Peak oil seems to be a little thinner. Peak oil was in LS400 for full OCI of 6-7k miles without problem.

I've still got a few 5qt jugs of it on hand. A local home/hardware chain often sells it for around $10. It's a good grab when on sale IMO.

I've used it for a few OCI's on our Honda Odyssey. It comes out quite black @ ~7Kmi, but it's all there.

Joel

This oil is bottled by Warren Performance out of Nebraska for "Old World Industries". On the bottom of the quart container you'll find a WPP or a WNE for Warren, Nebraska.

IMO...same oil as SuperTech at WM and the Warren brand...Mag1.

I bought a case of this oil, on clearance, at Strauss Auto Parts for $1.79 a quart in SN, GF-5. I bought a 50/50 mixed case of 5W-30 and 5W-20 quarts.....for blending with other oils. (I bought 14 quarts so I could get over the threshold of $25.00 in order to use the $5 off coupon) The actual price per quart was $1.43 for 14 quarts of oil.

IMO...this is good serviceable oil for the price and you can run it, depending on your engine, for 5K to 6K with confidence.

When I get back home to Coney Island, later this month, I'll be using this oil, as well as many other clearance oils from Kmart and stash oils for "a whole Lotta" oil changes for neighbors, family and friends vehicles. This oil should blend well with all name brand oils and store brand oils. After all....it's compatible with all synthetic and conventional oils. It says so right on the container!!!

But for now.....I'm enjoying Florida.

Last edited:
Nothing against Peak or Driveworks, but why didnt you Opt for the Puro Classic + PYB for 11.99?

I know people that use Peak Synthetic, plus Danica Patrick is
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif
HIGHLY Approved!

But I dunno anyone who uses Driveworks, the AAP down the road seems to sell ALOT of them, Id prolly opt for a Driveworks, STP, or ST filter if I had to decide that versus Fram.

Running the same oil here, quality seemed good coming out of the jug, just starting to darken a bit @ 2,500 miles. Picked up on sale @ AutoZone - for the price, I'm happy with it.

The Peak 5W-30 will do a good job for you.

My Chevy Lumina runs nicely on this oil.

I have some synthetic Peak 0W-20 that I'm going to use in one of my Camrys.

I've been using the PEAK 5W30 oil on/off in my daughters '06 Mazda3 for sometime. This was the FAR from PB's with ProLine filters that I bought in Sept'09. I did alternate the OIC's a bit with other oils such as Havoline DS, Castrol GTX, VWB and others. I thought I had used up all of the PEAK! I did just use it up 2 weeks ago when I changed her oil/filter and ATF(Castrol IMV). Her MPG jumped right away.

Also, this is the 3rd ATF change since she took ownership of the car. The selling dealer did it prior to sale and I have now done it twice. ATF ~ every 20K miles as she uses this car for her job.

What I notice with the PEAK 5W30 in her mazda3 2.0L is that the engine is smoother/quieter(or at least as good as) than other oils that I have used in the 2 years that she has owned the car...No Lie! Also, the MPG is often better during the OCI. She is always near the 36 MPG regularly as compared to 33 MPG with other oils, even 5W20(the required oil). I like the 5W30's in this engine for those reasons alone and the PEAK seems as good as any oil that I have used thus far.

We do ~4800-5000 mile OCI's and I typically change the oil when it's convienent so, it's often ~4000 mile OCI's. But, I really like this PEAK 5W30 in her engine. She is putting on ~20K miles/year since she got the car so, OCI's and general PM's are very important to me as she lives out of town but often visits for a weekend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I did just use it up 2 weeks ago when I changed her oil/filter and ATF(Castrol IMV).

Interesting choice in ATF. I've got 2 Mazda's with automatic transmissions. They both call for Mazda M-V fluid (not the same as Mercon V) and I've looked around for what is compatible. Thinking about Redline D4. Currently just been buying the Mazda M-V from the dealership for drain/refills. On the Castrol website IMV is not listed as compatible. Is it on the bottle?

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
I did just use it up 2 weeks ago when I changed her oil/filter and ATF(Castrol IMV).

Interesting choice in ATF. I've got 2 Mazda's with automatic transmissions. They both call for Mazda M-V fluid (not the same as Mercon V) and I've looked around for what is compatible. Thinking about Redline D4. Currently just been buying the Mazda M-V from the dealership for drain/refills. On the Castrol website IMV is not listed as compatible. Is it on the bottle?

I'll have to look/see. All I know, it that it works great!
Went to different forums and many Mazda3 owners are using Castrol IMV and Mercon V as well with great success.
Been using IMV since 50+K miles and now has 84K miles. Shifts really smooth and very responsive. Real nice drivetrain.

Take a look here:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=138381.0

Last edited:
Many of the members of this particular site don't feel comfortable using certain IMV ATF's but like I mentioned, the Castrol IMV works great!

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk

I'll have to look/see. All I know, it that it works great!
Went to different forums and many Mazda3 owners are using Castrol IMV and Mercon V as well with great success.
Been using IMV since 50+K miles and now has 84K miles. Shifts really smooth and very responsive. Real nice drivetrain.

Take a look here:

http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=138381.0

I've always read that Mercon V is NOT compatible with the automatic tranny's in the Mazda 3. It even says so on the Mazda Mercon V bottles used for the Tribute tranny. I've been using the Mazda M-V (type:5) fluid but was thinking about switching to Mobil 1 synthetic or Redline D4 synthetic.

Well, deffinately switch over to either the Mobil 1 or RedLine D4. I'm sure either one will work GREAT! Especially if the Castrol IMV ATF works well for us, the others being synthetic should work equaly as well or even better.

I just happened to buy a boat load(20 qts) of Castrol IMV ATF for a song & dance(like $1.62/qt) OTD, No Rebate!

In the link above, the member is using Mobil 1 and Coastal Syn/Blend IMV, NOT Castrol IMV which I am using. I didn't want there to be any confusion nor have anyone think that I was confusing the two, I'm not!

I am just pointing out that there are others using different types of ATF's in their Mazda's. Incidently, the Coastal(not Castrol) web site does mention that their IMV Syn/Blend ATF can be used in Mazda's but, Coastal's site "does not" mention M-V specificly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back