Peak 10x or Zerex G05 for 1988 Toyota Corolla?

I am replacing the coolant on a 1988 Toyota Corolla that has traditional green in it now. The only coolants that are easy for me to get are Peak 10x and Zerex G05. Which of these 2 would work better in this car?

Welcome to BITOG :)

Either of those will be fine for your Corolla. I'd probably pick the Zerex G05, but there is nothing wrong with 10x, either.

Will the nitrite that is in G05 hurt anything such as the lead solder, brass heater core, or anything else?. Has aluminum radiator with plastic top and bottom btw.

Toyota's standard recommendation for coolant is:

Only use “Toyota Super Long Life Coolant” or similar high quality ethylene glycol based non−silicate, non−amine, non−nitrite, and non−borate coolant with long−life hybrid organic acid technology. (Coolant with long−life hybrid organic acid technology is a combination of low phosphates and organic acids.)

I doubt that the nitrite in G-05 will hurt anything in an 88 Corolla but technically they don't want it. I think it's a case of not requiring it since nitrite is only useful for HD diesel engines with wet cylinder liners.

the asian manufacturers don’t like silicates. non-amine and non-nitrite coolant was a global trend.

G05 was designed to eliminate the issues of problematic high phosphate coolants of the era. compared to other coolants it was extremely low in silicates and used new additives, sodium benzoate and molybdate, along with traditional azole and borates. molybdate protects solder, azole protects copper. Nitrite protects iron

G05’s adoption in europe was curbed because of environmental concerns and NAP (nitrite amine phosphate) free coolant quickly became the focus, soon after the first wave of modern OAT coolants would also arrive.

Last edited:
I’ve run G-05 in older vehicles, mixed metal designs, but not brass/copper radiators. I’d run JohnDeere Cool Gard II in there which is cost effective.

John Deere Cool-Gard II uses sodium nitrate, but no longer uses sodium nitrite. Sodium nitrite has been banned in coolant in certain countries. It also uses the same OAT that Cool-Gard uses but also uses 2 additional OATs.
Balanced inhibitor system to protect against corrosion of aluminum, copper, and brass components, ensuring long system life.

I’ve run G-05 in older vehicles, mixed metal designs, but not brass/copper radiators. I’d run JohnDeere Cool Gard II in there which is cost effective.

John Deere Cool-Gard II uses sodium nitrate, but no longer uses sodium nitrite. Sodium nitrite has been banned in coolant in certain countries. It also uses the same OAT that Cool-Gard uses but also uses 2 additional OATs.
G05 is a bi-oat at the minimum, containing benzoate and at least one type of azole. it has molybdate which protects iron aluminum copper brass and solder. CG II relies on nitrate to make up for the loss of the nitrite/moly dynamic duo.

Last edited:
Back