peak 10w30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be just fine. Made by other "Warren" or as it is also know by WPP I believe. Their oils always do very well. In fact WPP makes a lot of Supertech oil for Wally World.

yes it was cheap at my local dollar general it was buy one get one free for either regular peak or peak HM
i got two quarts out the door for 3.81 it is usually 3.60 per quart before tax.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Should be just fine. Made by other "Warren" or as it is also know by WPP I believe. Their oils always do very well. In fact WPP makes a lot of Supertech oil for Wally World.

good to hear it is very good oil. can't say the same thing about the unilab 10w40 i ran back in my highschool days that i bought from dollar general.
it sludged a rebuilt 305 in two years.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
I thought Peak just made antifreeze. I have never seen their oil. When I Google "Peak Oil", I get something entirely different. Is it cheap?

here is a pic of it.

I have seen Peak motor oil at my local grocery store Harris Teeter, Dollar General, and in Rite aide pharmacy as well. Buy one get one for $1.90 a qt is a solid deal.

Another idea here... Look for Cam2 Superpromax 5w30. Another good oil that's typically $2 a qt or less. Or even Smitty's Super S is another one in that price range as well.

Last edited:
I have seen Peak motor oil at my local grocery store Harris Teeter, Dollar General, and in Rite aide pharmacy as well. Buy one get one for $1.90 a qt is a solid deal.

Another idea here... Look for Cam2 Superpromax 5w30. Another good oil that's typically $2 a qt or less. Or even Smitty's Super S is another one in that price range as well.

local hardware carries smitty's but it is 4.99 per quart ( im cheap bah humbug lol ) i usually only score deals on oil at my local aap i got some maxlife 10w40 SL for 1.25 per quart i bought all of it.
mag1 oil is big name in my area everyone seems to rant and rave about it
lol.gif

I know it probably is unlikely but if there's a K Mart near you.... Smitty's Super S is there. It was on sale for $8.49 for a 5 qt container. That's a good deal there on a API SN ILSAC GF-5 approved oil. Reportedly it has 10% PAO in it. I know it ran very quiet in my Altima 3.5 VQ.

I know it probably is unlikely but if there's a K Mart near you.... Smitty's Super S is there. It was on sale for $8.49 for a 5 qt container. That's a good deal there on a API SN ILSAC GF-5 approved oil. Reportedly it has 10% PAO in it. I know it ran very quiet in my Altima 3.5 VQ.

sounds like a winner there is kmart near my work that is closing out everything because they are closing jan 29th. i will look for it when i get off tomorrow.
my old rattle trap trucks shouldn't care to much.

dont forget your points! I often have $10 or so in points.

I just lol'ed at the off-topic peak oil. Which is something completely different.

I think peak is an ok API approved blend.

Here is a link to their product sheet.

https://peakauto.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/PEAK_conventional_spec_sheet_noback.pdf

Look at the Peak Noack Volatility figures
5W20 = 12.6 %
5W30 = 14.5%
10W30 = 15.2 %
10W40 = 14.9 %
20W50 = 6.2%

Apart from the 20W50 (Go Thickies !!) they all seem a bit on the high side to me.
In particular, in my world a 10W30 should have lower volatility than a 5W30, so the figures above don't make sense to me (a typo maybe?).

You could always send an email to Peak and ask them the Noack of their 10W30. But if they say 15.2% then I would pass. Recall SN is limited to 15%, but you do get some rounding error allowed. Dexos is limited to 13% volatility, and I prefer to be around here.

Here is a link to a PQIA VOA of Havoline 10W30, and it has a Noack of 12%
http://pqiadata.org/Chevron_Havoline_10W30.html
That few % lower Noack would be worth paying a few extra dollars for IMO.

No worries mate, that was just an example as how you can expect to see Noack go down as quality goes up, just as a rough general rule of thumb.

Peak is made by "Old World Industries" in America, and they do look like proper API SN oils, and the 10W30 does pass....just, and only because you are allowed to round down to the nearest whole number for Noack.

It is a real SN oil that will work fine, I'm just saying that you don't have to look far to find an oil that may work a little better. I went through every 10W30 API SN oil on the PQIA web site, and none had a Noack above 15% like the Peak does at 15.2%.

I'm not saying Peak is a bad oil, but there are other oils I would personally use first, before I reached for the Peak.

So your question: "Peak 10W30 - decent oil or no?"
My Answer: "Borderline - can do better"

i mostly use either 5w40 or 15w40. i will most likely just use it for top offs in my trucks and the rest in my oil burning wood splitter.

Originally Posted By: jakewells
i mostly use either 5w40 or 15w40. i will most likely just use it for top offs in my trucks and the rest in my oil burning wood splitter.

Fine top-up oil if you can grab it at the right price. I would use it for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back