PCV related oil leak would it stop with new PCV??

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 75,000mi Acura CL-S has sprung a small leak (couple of drops visible where trans meets the engine) I checked the PCV valve and it seems stuck, could it be that pressure building up inside crank case reaches a level where it pushes oil past the rear main?
And if so would new PCV stop the leak??
Anyone ever experienced such a thing?
Any comments much appreciated

It may or may not, depends on how bad the situation is.

I would consider doing 1~2 rounds of AutoRx cleaning and see if it helps, given your mileage.

Q.

My engine is very clean I use both synthetic and semi-synthetic oils mostly GC, Mobil 1 Q4X4 semi-synth TropArtic never more than 4-5K kilometres or 2,5-3K miles(had flushed it 2 or 3 times with Gunk Motor Flush last time about 6-7 months ago)
Would AutoRx help? By swelling the seaals or cleaning out some tougher muck that regular oil changes and flush left behind?

I don't know if the auto-rx is needed, but a PCV valve is only a couple bucks. Change it and then you don't need to worry about it.

Yes, a faulty PCV system can cause oil leaks for sure, plus other engine problems.
If it has not been working for a while, the ARx product would be a good idea.

Forget about using Gunk motor flush. If you want to flush, only use Auto-Rx. While you may be correct that your car is clean inside the engine, the only way to tell is to pull a valve cover and have a look.

I agree, you should replace the PCV regardless of anything else, its time.

Definitely replace the PCV as a blocked on can cause pressure to build within the engine.

Also, check the lower end very carefully. There was a leak on mine that seemed to be concentrated in the area between the engine and transmission. I feared the dreaded rear main seal. Closer inspection revealed that it was actually the oil pan gasket seeping.Replaced that and no more drips.

When you change the PCV check the hose and if possible remove and check other end. I did so recently and found the other end pretty gunked up so even if the valve worked it was a losing battle

OK So I replaced the PCV which was stuck closed the hoses were OK but still I cleaned them to get rid of that film that semed to be there.
Two days later I still see one or two drops of oil where engine joins to transmission but it is less than before and since changing I have only put 50 km (30mi) on it
Should I expect the drip to lessen still with HiMileage oil?

Paul56 you may have given me an idea as on mine the pan which is located about 20- inches away from tranny/motor junction is all wet and it had been before I noticed wetness/dripps near rear main. It even dripps onto exhaust again running sone 10-12 inch away from the spot
How did you trace the leak to pan gasket??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back