PCV Mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Hyundai Tuscon 2.4 L GDI
84 or 88K Miles
Purchased new

I checked the PCV a little sooner than I normally do since buildup on intake valves are a concern with DI engines to see what's going on in the valve.

To my surprise, the PCV and the connecting hose were super clean! Not even slightest residue or sludge. Nothing! it Clicked nicely so I put it back.

Is it possible the fuel (due to excessive fuel dilution) is cleaning things up. Just guessing here since the pcv in my 2005 v6 Tuscon (MPFI) was in much worse shape when I replaced it this past summer. Granted this car had more than twice as many miles and gets dino. Also my old v6 Tacoma had a nasty pcv a few years ago using dino also. both old cars also purchased new and maintained well.

Additional info for the car in question:
  • Dino (Mainly Chevron Supreme) for the first 40 or 50K. OCI ~4K.
  • Syn (M1 EP and PP) for the past 40-50K. OCI ~7K.
  • Wife uses 92 Octane - Mainly Chevron.
  • I pure a little Techron in the gas tank if I remember and if the tank is near full.
  • No severe driving.

Is fuel cleaning stuff or maybe syn oil (lower Noack) keeping things clean?
I was expecting some sludge or residue!

I've had PCV valves that never got dirty and others that needed replacing kinda regularly. If yours is good, keep it!

IDK if it's actually the fuel or the good quality of today's oils(whether they're dino or syn). Or if it is just a better design by Hyundai...Hmmm, IDK!

Sounds like you just crave to have something wrong with your engine. Be glad everything looks good due to your diligence in keeping up with your engine's maintenance.

Real good job, in maintaining those engines. The pre-2016s (depending on engine), need a little more TLC.
Who knows..... I may ask you for advice in coming years.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Replaced my valve on my 2015 Optima this summer, same engine and it was full of oil. Never saw a pcv valve this dirty. This car is mainly used by my wife for short distance trips, so I was not too surprised. Engine now has a lifetime warranty, so I don't stress too much about it.

No mystery..you probably just have a valve that's a good match for the the different crankcase and manifold pressures (idle, cruising, WOT) that engine creates. Be glad... check it regularly, clean it when/if necessary and you'll likely never need to buy a new one.

Last edited:
I think the clean PCV in your 2.4 Tucson is the result of low blowby.
You're fortunate to have well sealed rings.
There's unit to unit variation. Same reason some engines burn a little oil and some don't.
Legendary NASCAR mechanic Smokey Yunick broke new ground in the chase to reduce ring/cylinder leakage and squeeze out a few more ponies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back