PCV intake off valve cover for a year-what to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was horrified to discover the breather tube on my 97 3.1 Monte Carlo which runs from the throttle body area to the rear valve cover was accidentally disconnected by me when I changed the air filter last year. This rear valve cover is nearly invisible and I guess I am lucky I ever saw it. I have run Trop Artic 5-30 and Pure One every 3K since new and now have 71k on the car. I don't have a consumption problem. I never go down dirt roads. I am waiting an oil analyis from Blackstone and will share my Si findings with you.

the most harm you could have done was sucked up a bit more dirt - silicon - as the air going into the valve cover was not filtered. Probably didn't get any huge particles in it, but I am sure your silicon count will probably be higher than average. Changing the oil frequently sure helps in such instances to keep the silcon count as low as possible. It would be interesting to see what your UOA shows in terms of silicon.

I am assuming that the air flows from the intake into the valvecover (to replace air being sucked from the lower block to the pcv system) such as happens on my Honda setup. However, if air is designed to flow from the valvecover to the intake system, then you probably don't have anything to worry about.

good luck.

Well, at the very least you weren't blowing oil past the main bearing seals from a clogged PCV valve...
grin.gif
By the way, am I the only person in this galaxy who routinely solvent cleans his PCV valve at each oil change? I've done this for as long as I've driven cars with PCV valves and so far as I can tell, no harm has ever come to any of my cars. I fill an old coffee can to about 1/3 its capacity with gasoline to clean the oil filler cap, and drop the PCV valve in it while I'm puttering around changing the oil and filter. The PCV valve is the last thing that goes back on the engine, and I give it few shakes submersed before I do that (and then a few more shakes in open air to verify that the valve is rattling freely and shake out the excess gasoline). Before anyone objects, I figure that anything that can hold up to hot oil vapor won't have a problem with soaking in cool gasoline for 20 or 30 minutes.

[ April 07, 2003, 07:57 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back