PB blaster dripped into serpentine belt.

Hi,

I had to use some of the penetrating oil to loosen a metal part to pry off and some of the excess seeped into a recently installed drive belt (1 yr old) below. Cause for concern? Should I remove and wash the belt in soapy water to remove any excess oil in the grooves? I think it may already be squeaking because of it.

Thanks.

You can try spraying down the belt with brake clean. It dries fast enough not to hurt the rubber. And if the belt still slips, you can try to tighten the belt [slightly] unless it is a serpentine belt which has its own tensioner. Some will say to clean off the belt with soap & water. Others will say to replace the belt. But I think that the belts today are strong enough to take it. I mean, I've kept OE belts on for over 170,000 miles before replacing them and sometime I never replace them the whole time I own a vehicle.

You can try spraying down the belt with brake clean. It dries fast enough not to hurt the rubber. And if the belt still slips, you can try to tighten the belt [slightly] unless it is a serpentine belt which has its own tensioner. Some will say to clean off the belt with soap & water. Others will say to replace the belt. But I think that the belts today are strong enough to take it. I mean, I've kept OE belts on for over 170,000 miles before replacing them and sometime I never replace them the whole time I own a vehicle.
^^^THIS^^^

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. As @eljefino mentioned it should wear off, or you can clean it to speed it along. I've seen a lot of fluids, including anti-freeze, ATF, oil, brake fluid and an assortment of cleaners, penetrating oil, etc. dropped on belts while cars are being professionally serviced. Some guys will try and clean it up, others leave it alone. Trust me they aren't replacing the belt/belts unless they're getting paid to change them.

Back