paying by the ton to get rid of old tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone do this?

A local outfit, Riverside Recycling, claims to get rid of tires for $140 a ton or $6 a tire. I called them up and said I had eight
blush.gif
old nasty tires and could I get the ton rate? Nope, they said.

A local tire shop charged $2 each until this spring, then $3, and now $4. My town dump also gets $4. I'm just wondering if I breed enough mosquitoes and accumulate enough rubber, is there a break on price?
laugh.gif

PS I don't have a business/ tax ID number etc.

If delivered i accept them all for free, I have 50 acres that local amish hunt / trap on my posted property , After repeated confrontations they left me no choice of putting up a tire wall on my property borders

Our dump will take them for free if you deliver them. They have to go to a separate section with the medical waste and batteries. Thats why the garbage trucks wont pick them up. They shred them for parks for playgrounds and landscaping. Funny, in Pa many years ago when tires were so hard to get rid of. I remember this guy rented a big steel building put the deposit down filled it with old tires, I mean stacked it full then walked away and said keep the deposit, it was cheaper than paying to have the tires hauled away.

This is interesting as they are now putting old tires into roads and artificial mulch. So they are charging for you to dispose of them and them selling it. I am in the wrong business
smile.gif

When I have large things to throw away I drive behind the grocery store and throw it away real quick lol.

They either get burnt, recycled at a tire shop for a modest fee, or end up in a creek bed....

Sad cuz im sure they can make alot of items with used rubber, guessing its expensive to process? Who knows. A shame to see ppl tossing them all over place...id pay 4$ per tire to recycle tho... or try selling them..you might be surprised at who takes them and is willing to pay..or worst case..put them at end of drive and say free..

I put old tires on craigslist for free and put my neighbors address down, leave them out by the road. People take them.

Yeah craiglist is AMAZING at getting rid of unwanted stuff. So many of the "Free chit crowd" out there. They would take hazardous waste from you, for free, just because it is free.

Originally Posted By: heyu
If delivered i accept them all for free, I have 50 acres that local amish hunt / trap on my posted property , After repeated confrontations they left me no choice of putting up a tire wall on my property borders

I know what you mean.

I can relate.

Originally Posted By: Gasbuggy
I put old tires on craigslist for free and put my neighbors address down, leave them out by the road. People take them.

I haven't posted on craigslist but i did score some rims from one of those free postings.

I myself have put tires in my yard by the road with a big free sign and have had 6 to 8 tires vanish in a day.....also the big white truck mudflap that i had free spray-painted on laid in front of the tires vanished as well....

also i don't ever remember paying that kinda cash to dispose of tires.

most tire service places will take them for 3 dollars or under.

i took a small truck load of tires to a recycling center by me and instead of charging me per tire they said i could scale them and pay less and it didn't cost much at all.

Last edited:
My neighbor got rid of two dry rotted snow tires after he cleaned out his garage. They had to be twenty years old. He tossed them in the back of his Explorer took them to Mavis Tire around 10:00 at night and left them in front of one of the bays. In all the years I've been driving I never had to dispose of a tire myself. When I needed tires I went to a tire shop and they took care of everything.

This was almost fifteen years ago, but I spent a month trying to get rid of a couple old tires. Tire shops wouldn't take them. The transfer station wouldn't take them. Finally, I cut them up with a Sawzall and stuffed them in black Hefty bags!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back