pay your car payment or else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a co-worker tell me today that in some states there are dealers that put some kind of device in the car that enables them to kill the power to the automobile if you are late on your monthly note.Is this true,sounds like a good idea.

I suppose it is possible... I mean if GM can have their Onstar system unlock the doors and e-mail reports to the owner about the "health" of their vehicle.

I know someone who around 8-9 years ago financed a car from one of those "bad credit" lenders. Every month they had to supply him with a 4 digit code to enter into the module under the dash to keep it running. Depending on whether or not the payment was received.

Michigan is one that does this.My father bought a Mercury Sable this way which was a repo,with the box and he removed it

I had a neighbor about a year ago that had a car from one of those bad credit "buy here, pay here" places with the same feature silverrat described. He had to pay his note at the office every two weeks and they would supply him with a code to punch into a box in the glovebox using a remote control and that code would keep him running another 2 weeks. When he moved he hadnt paid a note in 3 months and they wouldnt even come pick the car up. He left it and the apts had it picked up. He said he turned it off the day after his payment was due and in the morning he tried to start it and the car was disabled. He never did fool with it to see how hard it would be to disable or take out that system.

When you use dealer supplied financing they are on the hook for the payment even though the note is carried by a different institution. If you don't pay, the dealer still has to pay the bank they wrote your loan from.

That's where the "buy here, pay here" comes from.

Mel Farr in Detroit does this. There was a splash on the news about this practise a few years ago. He was trying to be helpful to people with less means and who are trying to rebuild their credit.

This practise allows cars to be easily repo'ed when selling them to people who can't otherwise qualify for the loan.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Mel Farr in Detroit does this. There was a splash on the news about this practise a few years ago. He was trying to be helpful to people with less means and who are trying to rebuild their credit.

This practise allows cars to be easily repo'ed when selling them to people who can't otherwise qualify for the loan.

Geez, I remember when Mel Farr played for the Lions!

If installed with the same care as those new car dealer $2 "immobilizers" (installed for $400) it should be as simple as finding the wire that was spliced and unsplicing it.

I can see someone so satisfied with themselves for accomplishing this that they forget the long arm of the repo man, still getting towed.

Usually people who are too stupid or lazy to maintain their car payment are also too stupid or lazy to figure out a car's wiring.

I had one of those Silencer alarms on my old car and decided to remove the thing.

Glad I did, because the splice they used came apart with a slight tug. I could imagine that thing coming apart and then I wouldn't be able to start the car.

Oh, the Silencer is such a cheap POS they come in 12-packs.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Usually people who are too stupid or lazy to maintain their car payment are also too stupid or lazy to figure out a car's wiring.

Maybe so... but there are the types who used to buy single grapes with food stamps to get the 95 cents change, repeating until they had enough quarters for a pack of cigarettes. They beam with pride at their self-perceived brilliance, even when remaining relative losers.

32.gif
I know someone who missed one payment on her neon and got called every month from then out as a reminder. Could you imagine making those calls eight hours a day?

As another poster mentioned this is very popular with the used car dealers that get financing for poor credit risks. Don't pay on time and the car is killed remotely until you do. Very possible and actually been in practice for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back