Pay attention to what you click on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was on amazon last night and I made an order for some baby supplies and everything looked good. Turns out this morning I got a notification that 6 qts of Mag1 synthetic ($50) and a RP filter ($15) are being shipped today. Turns out I was looking at oil a few months ago on amazon and I must have clicked a "subscribe" button to see the special price... Well looks like I just spent $65 I had no intention on spending because I still have a ton of oil in my garage... Hopefully I can send it back. I am sure I am not the first that this has happened to so just be careful with "subscription" service.

6 qts for $50 is no deal anyway!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can cancel it as long as it hasn't shipped.
You probably, mistakenly, had it in your 'cart'.

Originally Posted By: pbm
You can cancel it as long as it hasn't shipped.
You probably, mistakenly, had it in your 'cart'.

Definitely sounds more like you already had the items in your cart without realizing, I've almost done this myself a few times.

Originally Posted By: shurguywutt
So I was on amazon last night and I made an order for some baby supplies and everything looked good. Turns out this morning I got a notification that 6 qts of Mag1 synthetic ($50) and a RP filter ($15) are being shipped today. Turns out I was looking at oil a few months ago on amazon and I must have clicked a "subscribe" button to see the special price... Well looks like I just spent $65 I had no intention on spending because I still have a ton of oil in my garage... Hopefully I can send it back. I am sure I am not the first that this has happened to so just be careful with "subscription" service.

I don't think it is possible to subscribe to a purchase without first purchasing the item. If you were subscribed to it then you must have bought it previously, not just looking at it.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
As with all of these Amazon threads, you clicked on something you shouldn't have. Your fault, not theirs.

+1

you signed up for subscribe and save

go in there now and cancel any other pending orders.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
why would they ship without authorization?

The way Amazon Subscribe&Save works is that you authorize just once, and after that they automatically ship stuff to you on a predetrmined schedule unless you cancel. No further authorization required.

With that said, Amazon does normally send you an email a few days before your next Subscribe&Save delivery ships out, giving you a chance to cancel/reschedule if you dont need it.

Stuff like that QP drives me nuts. It's like you need to spend an hour before placing an order to make sure they aren't going to opt you in for something.
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: shurguywutt

6 qts for $50 is no deal anyway!

I've been using Prime for A LOT of purchases over MANY years and have never had the issue you describe. The vast majority of times something was ordered that I didn't want, was because I had added it to my Subscribe and Save (a program that will save you 5-15% depending on how many products you've subscribed to purchase that month, which can be canceled at any time, even after the very first purchase) some previous month (you can select the periodicity of purchases - monthly to every six months) and forgot to cancel or change the subscription to another month.

The consequence for me over the past several years, has been too much soap, baby wipes or something else that we'll similarly eventually use up. The times we had thought we canceled or moved an item, but still received it admittedly could have been Amazon's fault, but each was more likely to have been a, "I thought you were going to review this month's subscription" kind of situation between the wife and me.

Regardless, we've been able to cancel items easily, if it hasn't shipped, so try that.

We've even sent back items or had Amazon let us keep items, but still provide a refund, depending on how much sense it made to ship back to them. We spend a lot of money on Amazon and rarely purchase something we don't want, so our returns are limited. If you're a new Prime member or return things all the time they might treat you differently. I'm sure Amazon keeps track of that metric, of who spends how much and how often they take advantage of their liberal return policy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

With that said, Amazon does normally send you an email a few days before your next Subscribe&Save delivery ships out, giving you a chance to cancel/reschedule if you dont need it.

this

Many hundreds of orders over many years many many thousands of $$$$$$$$$$. Can't recall even one problem.
Don't complain about Amazon compilation at yourself for screwing up.

As with all of these Amazon threads, you clicked on something you shouldn't have. Your fault, not theirs.

It's not that simple when they intentionally design their user interface to be confusing, misleading, or vague. For example, they changed the layout recently so it's not obvious how to choose free shipping at checkout on Android devices. I'm what you might call "computer savvy", and I have to make a conscious effort to not mess up on amazon nowadays.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

this

I have never gotten an e-mail and I have some stuff on subscribe.
21.gif

Not commenting on the OP ordering mistake,

Amazon has got to be knocked back to the stone age. Too Big. A Destroyer.

I try to buy stuff directly from the original vendor.

EeeBAY would have been in Amazon spot, except for paypal foibles, IMO. That's what drove me from EeeBAY. Hacked paypal account.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: eljefino

this

I have never gotten an e-mail and I have some stuff on subscribe.
21.gif

Is it going to your spam folder?

+1. Reading comprehension goes a long way in terms of self protection.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

Amazon has got to be knocked back to the stone age. Too Big. A Destroyer.

I try to buy stuff directly from the original vendor.

The original vendor would much rather sell 1000 units to Amazon at one time, and make more profit, than selling 1000 units one at a time to individuals. We get all warm and fuzzy buying direct but it isn't best for the bottom line. Sometimes I buy direct or local but don't feel guilty buying from Amazon.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

+1. Reading comprehension goes a long way in terms of self protection.

It's like a good portion of the BITOG community has a superiority complex. You know because they couldn't make it a little clearer in case people miss it. Sheesh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back