Paul Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I have to say that Paul Simon is a genius, so is Paul McCartney.... but you just got to know when to call it over!!!

Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard, was a brilliant song, but many misunderstand what the song is saying.

What is your interpretation of the song? Interestingly, his new album is getting great reviews for both the songwriting and his singing. I haven't heard any of it myself.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Obviously you didn't hear Paul Simon sing at the convention. Bruce can still sing halfway decent. Simon can't hit any notes anymore. He had no business on that stage at the convention. He embarrassed his fans and himself.

You just don't notice that Bruce can't sing because he never could...

That's how Bruce sings and always sang.
When Simon performed at the Convention, that's nowhere near how he sang years ago.
Again, he was terrible at the DNC and no wonder he's retiring. He should have retired last year..... maybe even five years ago.

Obviously you didn't hear Paul Simon sing at the convention. Bruce can still sing halfway decent. Simon can't hit any notes anymore. He had no business on that stage at the convention. He embarrassed his fans and himself.

That's how Bruce sings and always sang.
When Simon performed at the Convention, that's nowhere near how he sang years ago.
Again, he was terrible at the DNC and no wonder he's retiring. He should have retired last year..... maybe even five years ago.

So I guess it's better to never have been able to sing, so when your voice goes bad from old age, no one notices...

LOL I often wondered how he became so successful, his voice sucks. He must be doing something right, people love him.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

LOL I often wondered how he became so successful, his voice sucks. He must be doing something right, people love him.

I care a lot more about the songwriting than I do the quality of the voice. Springsteen has written some great songs that had some meaning and that the average guy could relate to. There are some voices that are so bad that I can't get past it though. Joe Cocker for one, although maybe he's an acquired taste.

Originally Posted By: dlayman
Originally Posted By: demarpaint

I care a lot more about the songwriting than I do the quality of the voice. Springsteen has written some great songs that had some meaning and that the average guy could relate to. There are some voices that are so bad that I can't get past it though. Joe Cocker for one, although maybe he's an acquired taste.

Apparently, a lot of people feel this way as there are quite a few famous artist who never could carry a tune in a bucket. Along with Bruce there's Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, George Thourogood, Joe Cocker (as you mentioned), just to name a few, none of which would've been able to pass high school choir if not for their music writing skills...

That's correct grampi.
It's better if you sound the same or better now, as 20-40 years ago. Not the reverse.

The guys I mentioned in the previous post definitely don't sound any better today than they used to...bad is bad old or young...

I would just like to bring up that I could never get over how annoying Bon Jovi's voice was and is. As if glam metal wasn't cringey enough now he has been resurrected in a just-as-annoying tv commercial.

I can't even get it out of my head.

But JMO. :]

Apparently, a lot of people feel this way as there are quite a few famous artist who never could carry a tune in a bucket. Along with Bruce there's Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, George Thourogood, Joe Cocker (as you mentioned), just to name a few, none of which would've been able to pass high school choir if not for their music writing skills...

You nailed it.

That's correct grampi.
It's better if you sound the same or better now, as 20-40 years ago. Not the reverse.

The guys I mentioned in the previous post definitely don't sound any better today than they used to...bad is bad old or young...

Very few have better song voices as their age. The worst I've heard that aged poorly was Paul Simon earlier this week. He had no business up there on stage. The audience was even grimacing like they were being tormented by what was coming out of his mouth.

Quote:

Do we have to point it out... It is the song writing.

Last edited:
That's correct grampi.

Very few have better song voices as their age. The worst I've heard that aged poorly was Paul Simon earlier this week. He had no business up there on stage. The audience was even grimacing like they were being tormented by what was coming out of his mouth.

At 67, Billy Joel can still sing! He even did Innocent Man a capella when I saw him at Fenway.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

No need to point anything out. I know his accomplishments, and his voice isn't one of them. I was enjoying the topic and tossing another icon out there with a lousy voice that made it.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
That's correct grampi.

At 67, Billy Joel can still sing! He even did Innocent Man a capella when I saw him at Fenway.

I've always loved Billy Joel! Check him out from 1965. His first song??

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

I never could figure out how certain artists get away with not being able to sing...a great song sung poorly is not pleasurable to listen to...

I never could figure out how certain artists get away with not being able to sing...a great song sung poorly is not pleasurable to listen to...

Same here. I'm guessing they either know someone or are related to someone at the record label.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Tony Bennett is still amazing and will be 90 next month. Saw a show on PBS a couple of years ago where he traveled the world to do a bunch of duets with different singers, from GaGa to Queen Latifah to Amy Winehouse, Josh Brogan and more. Fantastic! He is planning on doing a Duet II soon.

Tony Bennett is absolutely terrible now, and has been terrible for at least 15 years. He also appears to have some level of dementia. He sings every song exactly the same, from 80 years of sheer repetition. He's become a wind-up money machine that unscrupulous people keep winding up and putting on stage, and it's disgraceful.

Paul Simon was a huge talent and one of the most beloved artists of his generation, but he is also terrible now. If these people don't have the sense to know when to hang it up, the people in their lives who care about them should steer them away from that kind of embarrassment. If they want to participate in the politics and have some time in the spotlight, they should find another way to do it.

Speaking of which, CAROL KING was also terrible the other night. Every word in the prior paragraph applies to her as well. At least she had the sense to come out and lead some kind of hippie sing-along and not try to carry the spot herself.

They're all taking the Gloria Swanson part in "Sunset Boulevard," telling Mr. DeMille that they're "ready for their close-ups," and it's sad to watch.

Every person you named - "Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Bob Dylan, Neil Young, George Thorogood, Joe Cocker" - has a huge following of devoted fans who will tell you that they are great vocal talents in their own unique way.
Being a huge superstar without the vocal ability of a Sinatra or a Pavarotti - or any at all - has been part and parcel to the rock music scene from the very beginning. It simply doesn't matter. Was Bill Haley a great singer ? Or Chuck Berry ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back