Patman : Rotella T 5w-40 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

I have been running M1 10w-30 in my 97 Olds LSS with the L36 3800.

I am intrigued by the Rotella T 5w-40. Is this oil ok for my 3800, and does it make sense to replace the M1 with it ?

Thanks to you and all others who respond.

I think it would probably work well in that engine, which is an older design and most likely has looser clearances.

Be sure to do a UOA on it so we can see the comparison to M1.

I'm going to run it in my grand prix with the 3.8 S/C so I would say go for it.
wink.gif

anyone got specs for this oil? Please post. there is plenty of this oil at walmart for $12.83 a gallon. I was thinking this could be the perfect year round oil for me and to decrease my bearing wear. I was also thinking about the 15w-40 pennzoil long life they have for 5.77 a gallon but running in the winter...
dunno.gif
92 mits mirage 116k miles, dino entire life

hi

i was just a little concerned about the 5w-40 oil in an engine that calls for 10w-30/5w-30.

with its diesel detergents, should keep my engine super clean dont you think?

quote:

Originally posted by lght1:
hi

i was just a little concerned about the 5w-40 oil in an engine that calls for 10w-30/5w-30.

with its diesel detergents, should keep my engine super clean dont you think?

Regular changes will also help keep your engine clean.

I am using this in my modified 95LT1 and sofar it seems great. Will be summer before I can do a UOA.

lght, its going to be the next step for my 94 Regal with the 3800, assuming I see an improvement in oil pressure using Havoline hi-mi forumla which is significantly thicker than Hav. syn.

Mobil 1 is rated B5-02 and CF, so I think detergency and TBN retention are going to be exceptionally good. I would not expect the Rotella to clean any better nor would I run it for an extended oci.

I'm not sure we gain anything here by switching. My 3.8 doesn't seem to require anything thicker than M1 10W-30, but perhaps your's might.

Only way to know is to compare uoa's and use general impressions as to how each one runs.

someone just posted a great UOA with M1 10w30. I'm not sure why you'd go to a group III.

Patman, the 3800 went through a complete overhaul in 95/96, when it became the "series II. This included short skirt pistons, micro finished crankshaft, low tension piston rings, and other high tech features. I don't think the clearances are any looser than most modern engines.

-T

quote:

the 3800 went through a complete overhaul in 95/96, when it became the "series II. This included short skirt pistons...
-T [/QB]

Boo. Booooo.
To **** with the short piston skirts and the piston slap they cause.

quote:

My 3.8 doesn't seem to require anything thicker than M1 10W-30, but perhaps your's might.

M1 10w30 in my 3800 = tick tick ticky ticky tick tick tick from the engine audible from a good 8ft away.

Switching to Havoline syn 10w30 cut the volume of the ticking drastically, to the point that I cannot even hear it anymore unless the hood is up and I listen closely.

quote:

Originally posted by Forkman:

quote:

the 3800 went through a complete overhaul in 95/96, when it became the "series II. This included short skirt pistons...
-T
Boo. Booooo.
To **** with the short piston skirts and the piston slap they cause.

quote:

My 3.8 doesn't seem to require anything thicker than M1 10W-30, but perhaps your's might.

M1 10w30 in my 3800 = tick tick ticky ticky tick tick tick from the engine audible from a good 8ft away.

Switching to Havoline syn 10w30 cut the volume of the ticking drastically, to the point that I cannot even hear it anymore unless the hood is up and I listen closely. [/QB]

Never heard any piston slap out of a 3800. All my 3.8s have run M1 10w30, my dad uses Supertech in his.
dunno.gif

-T

Hmmm Forkman, I don't think this is common with the 3.8 engine. I once tried the Havoline Syn and I have run Mobil Blend, GTX, Syntec, and M1. There was no noise like you describe with any of these. All were 10W-30.

It's maybe at it's quietest with Syntec (which is even thinner than M1), so...
dunno.gif

Mine anyway doesn't seem to need more viscosity to quiet things, nor does it consume M1.

I recently ran Rotella 5w-40 in my Moms Olds 88, 3800 V-6. It made the lifter tick slightly louder, but other than that, it ran great. Consumption was down a bit, and it turned nasty dark after only about 2,000 miles, so it was obviously cleaning. It also started way easier with the Rotella compared to the dealers bulk 10w-30 in below 0 weather.

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
I recently ran Rotella 5w-40 in my Moms Olds 88, 3800 V-6. It made the lifter tick slightly louder, but other than that, it ran great. Consumption was down a bit, and it turned nasty dark after only about 2,000 miles, so it was obviously cleaning. It also started way easier with the Rotella compared to the dealers bulk 10w-30 in below 0 weather.

so your mom's old had dino it's entire life? then u switched to rotella t syn and there were no leaks? no auto-rx?

quote:

Originally posted by Cutehumor:

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:

so your mom's old had dino it's entire life? then u switched to rotella t syn and there were no leaks? no auto-rx?

No leaks what-so-ever. After 2,000 miles, I did start the cleaning phase of Auto-RX with the Rotella for an additional 1500 miles, and it was like black tar coming out when I drained it! Motor is now spotless through the oil fill on the front valve cover. It was prett clean to begin with though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back