Patio table

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my black Lab (95 lbs.) a patio table to lay on when he wants to get away from the other 2 dogs and rest or look around. My problem is the glass is very smooth and when he jumps on the table he slides across the table. So far he has not slipped off. Does anyone know of anything I can put on the table to keep him from sliding off? The table stays outside year around. I open his umbrella when he needs it. He is 9 years old and set in his ways.

Thank you in advance.

Helen

What shape is the table and how big? Not sure how pretty that would look, but maybe get one of those door mats and use some velcro to make it stick to the glass.

95 lbs jumping on a glass top patio table :-(

I have broken the glass in an Aluminum framed patio table, it did not take much.
They are made from toughened glass, so they shatter into granules, but still nasty. and the dog will fall right through.

He has been jumping on tables since he moved in. His owners abandoned him. His last table was flimsy and I gave it away and the one before was destroyed when we had very high wind and I had not taken the umbrella down. The table is new but it is for him only and the tape sound like the perfect. He had a hard life prior to moving in and so I try to let him know he is special. The other 2 were abandoned and they also get special things.

Measure the table and get a piece of wood at Home Depot the same size to lay on top so the glass won't break

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Measure the table and get a piece of wood at Home Depot the same size to lay on top so the glass won't break

Good plan. Or replace the glass top completely with a sheet of plywood.

Originally Posted By: ecotourist
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Good plan. Or replace the glass top completely with a sheet of plywood.

+1

I'm thinking a picnic table as an alternative. I'm surprised, with his size and jumping up on it, that he hasn't knocked the glass-one over. That's a pretty big dog! (Perhaps I'm assuming it's a circular glass table-top and yours is rectangular?)

Plywood on top would protect the glass, but would also trap water between it and the glass, leading to it rotting over time.

I'll second the no-slip strips on the glass given your situation.

Not too sure how he is going to feel about laying on 3m grip strips...?

I agree with the idea about replacing the glass with plywood, I'd perhaps consider covering the plywood with some sort of outdoor fabric (canvas, sunbrella sort of thing) and if he likes soft you could probably even get some outdoor foam and make a sort of bed for him. (I am thinking staple the fabric around the perimeter of the plywood so it can't move)

Also, I'm sure you can find them cheaper, but there are quite a few versions of dog steps that might help in those "skymall"catalogs you're subjected to when you fly. At 9 years old it might not be too long before he has trouble jumping up there....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back