Pathfinder what ATF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What year Pathfinder?
smile.gif

Your owners manual calls for Nissan Matic J. If you believe in using Valvoline Max Life ATF, they have a product for you and that product would also be a replacement for Dex / Mercon. However, I'll let others chime in if they use it with confidence.
laugh.gif

499201B9-E624-4FDE-B5BF-4CE5BCAA2C4E.jpeg

B94331EB-E51A-41A7-B2DD-30C81E3D74DF.jpeg

Last edited:
I would not hesitate to use Maxlife, Castrol Import, or Pennzoil Platinum LV. Their respective producers recommend them for Matic J applications, and I have used each of these in various domestic and imported cars with great results (usually better than OEM).

The Valvoline Max Life is an excellent product. I have used it over a wide range of vehicles. I has also improved shifting performance on my Hyundai vehicles.

I have a 2006 Pathfinder with 180k miles on it...I did a drain and fill to Maxlife at 75k and have done a couple of more since then. Same on my Frontier pickup.

Maxlife is good stuff!

Also if your vehicle have the two transmission oil coolers you should bypass the one in the radiator if you haven't already. Takes all of 15 minutes but worth it since those year models had issues with antifreeze from the radiator antifreeze mixing with the transmission cooler at the bottom of the radiator. Or if the radiator has already been replaced no need to do the bypass. I have personally done a bypass and flushed the fluid on that model year.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by djkurious
Also if your vehicle have the two transmission oil coolers you should bypass the one in the radiator if you haven't already. Takes all of 15 minutes but worth it since those year models had issues with antifreeze from the radiator antifreeze mixing with the transmission cooler at the bottom of the radiator. Or if the radiator has already been replaced no need to do the bypass. I have personally done a bypass and flushed the fluid on that model year.

Too Late for that. The previous owner had the heat exchange crack and coolant went into the tranny 2 years ago. Had it flushed with new rad, and so far it seems fine, however is there any way to really know if some damage was done? Apparently Nissan has some extended warranty on the transmission, if its under 90K Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back