Passenger-cargo ship SS Warrimoo- really nice read

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
On December 31, 1899, Captain John Phillips was navigating the passenger-cargo ship SS Warrimoo when his crew informed him that they were approaching the equator.

Captain Phillips had his navigator double check their position, and then adjusted the course and speed of the Warrimoo so that at exactly 12 a.m., the ship lay astride the Equator at exactly the point where it crossed the International Date Line.

The forward part of the ship was in the Southern Hemisphere and in the middle of summer. The rear part of the ship was in the Northern Hemisphere and in the middle of winter. Half of the ship was on 31 December 1899, while the forward half skipped a day ahead and into 1 January 1900.

The ship was therefore not only in two different days, two different months, two different years, two different seasons and two different hemispheres but also in two different centuries all at the same time.

322012742_836359990811894_2752878450950852334_n.jpg

I wonder if King Neptune gathered the polliwogs on deck for some extracurricular activities?

I got to experience the Realm of The Golden Dragon many years ago onboard a Coast Guard cutter. Afterwards beer rations were available for all crew. Not something you will see today.

I wonder if King Neptune gathered the polliwogs on deck for some extracurricular activities?

I got to experience the Realm of The Golden Dragon many years ago onboard a Coast Guard cutter. Afterwards beer rations were available for all crew. Not something you will see today.
79/80 WestPac on the USS Coral Sea CV43. :D

The wife and I will have the opportunity to do this on a cruise we wil be going in to Antarctica - crossing the equator. It's listed on the ships schedule. I guess they are having a little celebration!

The wife and I will have the opportunity to do this on a cruise we wil be going in to Antarctica - crossing the equator. It's listed on the ships schedule. I guess they are having a little celebration!
Are you guys doing the polar bear plunge as well?

It looks terrible, but I suppose I would give it a try if given the opportunity.

Are you guys doing the polar bear plunge as well?

It looks terrible, but I suppose I would give it a try if given the opportunity.
I don't think we will participate in that activity. I'm OK with that!

Back