Pass up used Toro 221Q?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a chance to buy a used Toro 221Q, the last production year of the R-Tek 141 cycle. Its in near perfect condition, only used 1 season. Should I avoid and purchase a new Toro 721 with the 212cc Chinese Loncin? My gut tells me the 221 will be better long term.

I tested the new Honda HS720, and the chute controls are very stiff, poorly designed. Thanks.

It depends on your nostalgia for 2 cycle engines. I had the same debate and went with the 4 cycle. its nice not smelling like 2 cycle oil after using it....

I love my ccr 2450,

Tomcat, there are 2 cycle oils with very low odor/smoke after startup you cant really tell mine is 2cycle except by its exceptional power and light weight.

Originally Posted By: Ope_Freak
I have a chance to buy a used Toro 221Q, the last production year of the R-Tek 141 cycle. Its in near perfect condition, only used 1 season. Should I avoid and purchase a new Toro 721 with the 212cc Chinese Loncin? My gut tells me the 221 will be better long term.

I tested the new Honda HS720, and the chute controls are very stiff, poorly designed. Thanks.

I have the 221Q and LOVE it. The last of the 2 strokers, simple to work on too. On shut down it sounds like a Lawn Boy given the engines heritage.
banana2.gif

is there any way to post a video from my computer to here? It's a short video of the 221 and me in action after a snow storm.

go for the 221.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27
It depends on your nostalgia for 2 cycle engines. I had the same debate and went with the 4 cycle. its nice not smelling like 2 cycle oil after using it....
I wear two stroke as cologne, drives the ladies crazy.

We had one of those Toro 221Q when I lived in Pennsylvania. They are pretty much a joke. Good for about 4" of snow. Get a real snow blower. You'll just get disgusted. Only thing good about it, it fueled my rage to shovel by keep clogging up.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
We had one of those Toro 221Q when I lived in Pennsylvania. They are pretty much a joke. Good for about 4" of snow. Get a real snow blower. You'll just get disgusted. Only thing good about it, it fueled my rage to shovel by keep clogging up.

I have taken mine through a foot of snow with NO issues, have to go slow on the first pass due to taking a full bite. Once one path is clear take half bites. I have video of me going through a drift that was over the blower. As far as clogging a heavy wet snow will. I use silicone spray in the chute to help prevent that.

The Toro CCR 2K with the Suzuki 2-stroke I had was a heck of a machine. Deep, heavy stuff can be an issue for most machines and require smaller bites.

I vote for the 221. I have had a CCR 3650 R-Tek 6.5hp for the past 14yrs. I live in the snow belt region of s/w Ontario where 3 foot snowfalls can be the norm. I take is easy, usually half bites and like to keep the exhaust down wind. My machine is bullet proof. Hope to have it for many years to come.

I would go with the 221. I have had mine for two seasons and there hasn't been anything (even with a hard winter) that it wouldn't go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back