Parts with core charge on them

So apparently, some OEMs are jealous that someone will rebuild them. What are they afraid of? :rolleyes: :unsure:

Ford doing it isn't surprising since they don't even like to disclose their suppliers, even though everybody else does.
The quality of the rebuilders isn't consistent. They are supposed to mark the part indicating it was repaired. If they don't the manufacturer could theoretically be held liable if something were to happen.

15 or so years ago, I was in Autozone pricing some new front axles for a Suzuki Swift. Autozone only had NEW axles that they would sell, but they put a sizeable core charge on the sale of the new ones because they wanted the old ones. I know the counter jockeys were only following rules and they, themselves, didn't make the rules, but that fact bothered me. So the CV axle manufacturer (or was it Autozone?) was making sure that they got got a bunch of cores back to rebuild even though they were getting them by selling new ones....
That didn't sit well with me and about that time was when I stopped going to Autozone and a lot of my money started going to RockAuto instead.

Are you talking about OE body parts?

Not all manufacturers do it, but GM does a lot for some reason. My guess is to keep it away from LKQ/Keystone, but I've never had LKQ/Keystone ask me for smashed up junk? We don't even have to provide GM with the part, just keep whatever pieces of it we have, and scrap it when they tell us to. We have a bunch of pieces of bumper covers in the back with part labels on them.

I hate it, more silly hoops to jump through and just another reason I turn most GM collision customers away/refer to a larger dealer. Makes it not worth my time.

One good thing about Hyundai/Kia, they only do non-warranty cores on stuff they will actually rebuild.
LKQ owns junkyards for that very reason alone - and they probably have a team of buyers go in at the Copart and ADESA/Manheim auctions for late-model wrecks. As long as Allstate, Geico, Progressive and AAA are in insurance demanding aftermarket and used parts, LKQ will always be there.

Now, if the OEMs really wanted to keep LKQ and China/Taiwan out of the equation, put a utility patent on their parts - which means 10-15 years of exclusivity.

I was wondering this the other day. Parts, like some headlights that have say a $100 core charge on them; what happens to the old headlight? Same with aluminum wheels; if a aluminum wheel has a crack and nasty bend in it; what does the parts place do with that wheel?

Thank You all in advance 🇺🇸🇨🇦
Its reconditioned for headlamps and body panels and remaned for engine components. I've started noticing that on my estimatics software more and more body panels have a core charge, especially aluminum panels and truck bedside panels. HSs and UHSS can't be because they are structural or safety components and the alloy doesn't like being melted.

Last edited:
Now, if the OEMs really wanted to keep LKQ and China/Taiwan out of the equation, put a utility patent on their parts - which means 10-15 years of exclusivity.
Stamp the OEM logo or model name into the part, can't use aftermarket parts if they don't have the OEM badging. I've seen this on some Jeep windshields with the little Jeep image on the stippling. Pretty sure the manufacturers would have caught onto this but for some reason are leaving money on the table.

Stamp the OEM logo or model name into the part, can't use aftermarket parts if they don't have the OEM badging. I've seen this on some Jeep windshields with the little Jeep image on the stippling. Pretty sure the manufacturers would have caught onto this but for some reason are leaving money on the table.
Mercedes has been etching the signatures of Karl Benz or Gottlieb Daimler onto windshields lately instead of the usual decal that also says “a Mercedes-Benz product”.

I’ve seen Pilkington/PGW(Vitro, not DOT563 XYG from LKQ licensed to use the PGW brand) replacement windshields and side glass either etch the OEM name or screen the Pilkington logo over it.

FYG and XYG have been blantantly ripping off Volvo’s SIPS Bag/Front SRS badging on their replacement windshields - despite FYG being an Volvo OEM.

Probably should read the loss settlement provisions of your policy. ;)

So apparently, some OEMs are jealous that someone will rebuild them. What are they afraid of? :rolleyes: :unsure:

Ford doing it isn't surprising since they don't even like to disclose their suppliers, even though everybody else does.
Also a branding decision; reduce the volume of substandard parts out in the field w/ the OEM's branding. SoP for many manufacturers. A core Brand X part hits the (s)crap market, rebuilt by some shady shop, back on the market and someone gets a '...bad Brand X part..."

Back