Parts replaced in a Transmission Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have a question regarding the parts normally replaced in a transmission rebuild. Would the following parts normally be replaced:

- paper gaskets
- rubber lip seals
- o-rings
- pan gaskets
- metal clad seals
- sealing ring kits
- friction clutch plates (same as clutch packs ???)
- steel clutch plates
- molded pistons
- filters

Is the Valve Body, Torque Converter, and Solenoid(s) normally replaced in a transmission rebuild?

Thanks.

I suppose the real answer to your question lies within (1)who is doing the rebuilding and/or (2)the exact trans. application you're refering to.

General rule of thumb:

Rebuilt parts are disassembled to determine an original fault and usually only the defective part(s) are replaced. In the case of a rebuilt trans., its conceivable that all gaskets & seals should be replaced during reassembly, but not necessarily all clutch-packs or pump-related parts.

Remanufactured parts are typically gutted cases with entirely new inner workings.

I'm not sure if this helps you, but this is the way its been explained to me by normally reliable sources.

Add bands, modulators, and bushings to the possible "included" list.

Transmission application is a typical automatic transmission, but I was just curious what a professional, good quality rebuild job should involve.

Thanks.

You did not say what kind of tranny you are taking about so here is a general view. Generally you start a rebuild kit. This contains soft parts that may or may not include the steel clutch plates. It has gaskets, seals, sealing rings, clutch plates, bushing, and in some cases clutch bands and go from there via inspection.

What is in the rebuild kit kind of depends on make and model.

Pump gears, bearings Solenoids may also need to be replaced ect. Inspection is the key.

Usually "hard parts" are replaced on a as needed base. Such as valve body, shafts, gears, and cases. Hard parts can add greatly to the price.

Generally a new or remanufactured torque converter is used but is an addition to the rebuild kit. Lock up converters should be always replaced.

In some cases weakness can be improved upon such as marginal line pressure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back