Part With Prius C for Newer Ford Fiesta?

I have a chance to get a late model Ford Fiesta for thousands less than it's worth.
It was in a mild accident, has a rebuilt title, and is a 2 owner car with 43k miles.
It has roll up windows, is a 5 speed, and AC. Someone evidently bought it cheap and replaced the hood and windshield.
I'm thinking seriously about buying it and selling my 2012 Prius C, which has been a great car for me for over 2 years.

I'd lose about 20 MPGs. I get about 46 MPGs in town with the Prius, the Fiesta gets 27/35, which is still great mileage and I only drive about 3000 miles a year.

I haven't bought it yet, and I may pass on the deal, but I'd get a car that's 7 years newer with 75k less miles for about the same money I have in my Prius.
I get bored with the same car after a while, and the Prius seems boring.
I kind of miss a 5 speed car. Should I? May10 2022 (9)a.jpg

Last edited:
3k per year? might be worth the trade. Age related problems will be an issue in a few years, and i’m not sure which car will be cheaper over the long run.

So if I buy a car that gets 30 MPGs vs 46 my Prius gets, I'd pay $174 more for gas per year based on the 3k miles I typically drive in a year. That would be $14 more per month, and over 5 years that would be about $870. But I'd have a car that's 7 years newer that most likely rides better than my Prius. IDK but I say it's time to trade cars, if this turns out to be what I think is a good car.
It's time to man up and not let post swap blues get to me. Sometimes it makes sense to swap cars.

Miles are nothing to a prius C. Do what you want to but that sounds like a downgrade to me.
+2
A rebuilt title means that the car was totalled. Totalled is not a "mild" accident. A rebuilt totalled car may have been cosmetically repaired, but it's safety is likely compromised. With gas prices as high as they are, your Prius is worth more than you think it is. As far as value is concerned, the Fiesta is only worth about half of what your Prius is worth.

Miles are nothing to a prius C. Do what you want to but that sounds like a downgrade to me.
I may do that.
The Fiesta would be a good deal for someone but I appreciate a good well maintained Toyota like mine is. I found my Prius and if I let it go there is a good chance I'd kick myself in the butt more than I had planned on.
And I had a 2016 Fiesta a couple years ago and the ignition switch failed and after I paid $440 for Ford to fix it, I lost faith in Ford and swapped for the Prius C. I have a great car and there's a good chance I won't have to do anything to it other than OCIs for a good may years yet. I only paid $6800 for it which was a great deal and one of the best cars I've ever had.

I think I'll PM the seller and tell him thanks anyway, and transfer the $7000 back into my savings account.

Last edited:
+2
A rebuilt title means that the car was totalled. Totalled is not a "mild" accident. A rebuilt totalled car may have been cosmetically repaired, but it's safety is likely compromised. With gas prices as high as they are, your Prius is worth more than you think it is. As far as value is concerned, the Fiesta is only worth about half of what your Prius is worth.
The only damage it had was to the hood, windshield, headlights, and wipers. They considered the car totaled but as far as I know, that was the extent of the damage. But it doesn't matter anyway, thanks to you guys rooting for my Prius. My mind is made up that my Prius is a much better car and knowing my luck this Ford would fail if I bought it, like the 2016 Fiesta I had did. I'll stick to Toyota and leave it at that.
And thanks again for rooting for my Prius and bringing me to my senses.

Last edited:
A well maintained Toyota is a real tough car. I know an elderly lady who owns two Toyotas, a 90s Tercel and a 2005 Corolla.
I told her I'd buy either one of them if she ever wanted to sell one of them. But I found my own well maintained Toyota.
I know what I have in my car, so I shouldn't take chances on a different car. My car is mechanically perfect.
I will leave well enough alone.

P2170618.JPG

+3. My friend has a '17 Fiesta base with the 5 speed and you'll be downgrading a lot. There's lots of interior room surprisingly but the 5 speed gearing makes it horrible to drive. It's also slower than a 1.0L 3cyl focus :ROFLMAO:

And besides, I already have a small stash of PP 0w20 and Fram PH4967 filters for my Prius and I really don't want or need to be taking this back to Walmart to swap it out for other products. I'll stick with 46 MPGs and like it.

Reactions: Pew
I'd much rather have the Prius. Your red Prius is a sharp looking car! I've never seen a red one like that before. (y)

A well maintained Toyota is a real tough car. I know an elderly lady who owns two Toyotas, a 90s Tercel and a 2005 Corolla.
I told her I'd buy either one of them if she ever wanted to sell one of them. But I found my own well maintained Toyota.
I know what I have in my car, so I shouldn't take chances on a different car. My car is mechanically perfect.
I will leave well enough alone.

View attachment 105798
A well maintained Prius C is the best daily driver. If you want - a set of lightweight wheels with good tires will transform the handling and aesthetics. While a set of lowering springs will add-on to even better handling and aesthetics without sacrificing ride quality. And will provide better MPG too, due to less air being able to get under it on the highway. Still a Prius C, but could be a fun one for sure.
images (1).jpeg

I personally would much rather get 50MPG in sporty OEM+ Prius C, than 10MPG in a purpose built track weapon or 20MPG-30MPG in a mild sporty daily driver.
"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow." With mentioned upgrades every errand run could be a fun adventure.

Last edited:
The only damage it had was to the hood, windshield, headlights, and wipers. They considered the car totaled but as far as I know, that was the extent of the damage. But it doesn't matter anyway, thanks to you guys rooting for my Prius. My mind is made up that my Prius is a much better car and knowing my luck this Ford would fail if I bought it, like the 2016 Fiesta I had did. I'll stick to Toyota and leave it at that.
And thanks again for rooting for my Prius and bringing me to my senses.
Damage to the hood, windshield, headlights, and wipers is not going to total a 2-3 year old car. The damage was far more severe than what you have been told.
Rejecting the Fiesta and keeping the Prius is the right move. The Prius is worth more now than the $6800 you paid for it 2 years ago. Combined with the high gas mileage, the car has been paying YOU to own it.

I'd much rather have the Prius. Your red Prius is a sharp looking car! I've never seen a red one like that before. (y)

My first new car was a Clementine 1971 VW Super Beetle that was just about the same color as my Prius C.
It's a unique color and people sometimes compliment me on the color of my car.

Damage to the hood, windshield, headlights, and wipers is not going to total a 2-3 year old car. The damage was far more severe than what you have been told.
Rejecting the Fiesta and keeping the Prius is the right move. The Prius is worth more now than the $6800 you paid for it 2 years ago. Combined with the high gas mileage, the car has been paying YOU to own it.

When I googled the VIN of the Fiesta last night I was taken to an auction website where the buyer bought it for about $1525.

Here's the car and the site I'm talking about :

Ford Fiesta S 2019 Black 1.6L vin: 3FADP4AJ0KM151258

After I politely told the guy I changed my mind and am going to keep my Prius, he sent me a middle finger emoji and said "waste of my time".
We kind of did have a "meeting of the minds" last night, but legally I'm not bound to buy the car if I choose to change my mind. I told him I didn't do that intentionally.

Here's the car listing :

Facebook listing for rebuilt 2019 Ford Fiesta

Fiestas that year retail on used car lots for $10k to $16k but that still doesn't mean I should let my Prius go and buy one.

Ugh, skip. If it's anything like my friend's Fiesta at ~50k miles, the transmission is falling apart, buttons on the radio broken or unresponsive, driver seat broken, no undertray, and oil filter above the oil lines. They're only worth like 5K at this point if they're in mint condition. The interior of that looks wrecked.

When I googled the VIN of the Fiesta last night I was taken to an auction website where the buyer bought it for about $1525.

Here's the car and the site I'm talking about :

Ford Fiesta S 2019 Black 1.6L vin: 3FADP4AJ0KM151258
Wow, that looks pretty good structurally, probably needed quite a bit of messing around replacing stuff on top of the engine though. I think the only potential real problem with the Prius is the battery pack at some point, but if they handle age fine, you'll be be good as you don't do many miles. Do some reading on that to ease your mind.
That Fiesta may have a few issues to come though, as there's lots of stuff that needs to be water tight and sealed on top of the engine, and some electronic stuff may have been cracked and still working but in a couple years will get corroded and start failing?
On balance I think I would stick with the Prius.

Back