Parking

Status
Not open for further replies.
My drive is 4 cars wide. I park two in the garage and two on my driveway. People visiting next door repeatable park on the street blocking one of my vehicles. I ask them to move and so far they do, no problem. I feel I should be able to move any of my vehicles from my property to the city street unimpeded.

Reasonable?

very reasonable. if you want to be nice, talk to them first. if not, the po po should take care of the problem.

Years ago I had a car in our way at an apartment building. it did not belong to any tenant. the police refused to tow it. odd thing.... somehow the car slipped into neutral and it rolled into an alley. once it was blocking the alley, the police had to tow it. I have no idea how the car shifted into neutral.... the car was locked. somehow the linkage came apart and moved.......

You should not have to ask anybody to move a car because it's blocking your driveway. But...people today are terribly self-focused.

You could buy a lawn sign that reads: "Please don't block driveway, thank you."

Probably get removed though.

People can be so fun.

Wait, they park across your driveway apron, or they park across the street from your driveway apron?

The first is illegal, the second is rude if there are other viable spots. Anyplace else is fair game technically.

In our town and a number around, there are rules against parking on the street overnight without a permit. It's helpful for snow plowing, street sweeping, and garbage collection in the early am. But the rest of the day and evening, it's fair game, but as I described is how it works. Park in front of your home, in as least intrusive spot to others, then visitors temporarily fill in other spots.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
very reasonable. if you want to be nice, talk to them first. if not, the po po should take care of the problem.

Years ago I had a car in our way at an apartment building. it did not belong to any tenant. the police refused to tow it. odd thing.... somehow the car slipped into neutral and it rolled into an alley. once it was blocking the alley, the police had to tow it. I have no idea how the car shifted into neutral.... the car was locked. somehow the linkage came apart and moved.......

The police can't tow cars off private property. The owner or manager of the apartments would have to call a towing company and have it removed.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
the second is rude if there are other viable spots.

Yeah I hate douchebags that park like that,they might as well be directly blocking the driveway. It'd be funny to get an old huge tank of a beater and just floor it coming out of the driveway and plow right into their car,and be like,oopsie,my bad haha.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Wait, they park across your driveway apron, or they park across the street from your driveway apron?

The first is illegal, the second is rude if there are other viable spots. Anyplace else is fair game technically.

In our town and a number around, there are rules against parking on the street overnight without a permit. It's helpful for snow plowing, street sweeping, and garbage collection in the early am. But the rest of the day and evening, it's fair game, but as I described is how it works. Park in front of your home, in as least intrusive spot to others, then visitors temporarily fill in other spots.

Certain people these days have entirely lost the concept of courtesy...

We've got on street parking, and rear lane access...and new neighbours front and back that are totally self absorbed.

Over the road, they'll park out the front of my place, facing against the direction of traffic (I've been ticketed for that before pointing car downhill to avoid clutch smoking trailer starts)...have asked for some reasonable consideration, and they point out that it's a free street, and there's a whole street to park on (true, but there was a whole street there that's not where my two go.

Bloke out back has decided to park in the rear lane...couple of times He's seen my trying to manouver around his car to get into my yard, get out of my car to ask him to please move so that I can get access, and he scarpers...I get in, do my work, and when I go to get out, he's placed a couple of traffic cones to delineate how far away from his vehicle I should maintain.

This one yesterday took the cake 'though...it was raining while we were at Aldi, and this jerk couldn't understand why a dozen people were annoyed with him...
IMG_20160220_155232.jpg

Originally Posted By: tomcat27

Funny how that car ended up in neutral. Years and years ago, back in the college days, a total pile of junk, non-running 1979 Hyundai Accent was parked in the best parking spot in front of my apartment complex. It was totally broke down, flat tires, been there abandoned for years. One night a huge apartment complex party erupted and there were 100 drunk college kids. Someone asked how long that pile of junk had been sitting there. I said years. And before you know it, about 20 people picked the car up, carried it across the parking lot, and somehow placed it about 8 feet up into a huge oak tree sitting on a branch. Was kind of funny at the time to see a Hyundai Accent way up in a tree.

During my teenage years, there was a car that double parked behind behind mine completely blocking me in. I waited over 30 minutes but the owner was completely MIA. The doors were unlocked, somehow the car mysteriously rolled down the street and ended up crashing into a large curb. Probably needed an alignment after that!

Years ago I worked graveyard shift. I came home to find a car parked in MY driveway. Nobody around, I took it out of gear and rolled it out into the street. It disappeared sometime that day. One week later I come home to find the same car in my driveway. I ask my neighbors and they know nothing about it. I pulled all the plug wires and the rotor out of it and again roll it out into the street. Later that day I saw it being towed away. Never had the problem again after that. It was a strange happening for me though.

"Around here, it's illegal to park in front of a driveway. Call the police and have them ticketed."

Yeah, awesome! Call the police to solve every minuscule problem in your life. You 'da man!

Last edited:
As opposed to the others here that are endorsing vandalism, destruction of property, felony hit-and-run, and grand theft auto, absolutely!

I'd just ask them to move it, if that doesn't work I'd try and get the police involved. I'm lucky I can speak with a code enforcer friend of mine who works in the Incorporated Village here. He'll ticket the car until he bankrupts them. I think most sane people would learn by the second or third ticket that parking in said fashion will end up costing them.

If they're parked ON your property anything goes.

If they're parked legally but inconsiderately it's tough cookies, just drive round them.

Of course, if you're blocked in on your own driveway, effectively being held hostage then they have 30 seconds to move before I move their car for them.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
JHZR2 said:
It'd be funny to get an old huge tank of a beater and just floor it coming out of the driveway and plow right into their car,and be like,oopsie,my bad haha.

One more reason why I made the choice not to live in the city. I don't have to deal with people who think that it would be "funny" to ram their car into someone else's.

Just a popular teen next door. I've talked to him and his parents, and they are obliging. Just not every kid in town has gotten the message yet........

So far none that I've talked to have have blocked me a second time.

This is dicey. If you ask them and they react poorly, then use the police, they will know who called the police. You can pretty much write them off as "good neighbors" after that. Some people are so psycho they may even try to retaliate in some fashion.

So, I decide at the beginning if I want to approach personally or just use the police from day 1. Sometimes, surprisingly, I would rather use the police with someone I actually like to preserve the relationship.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back