parking car outside is "bad"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't need a study to know rain, sun, and temperature extremes are bad. Let alone bird feces, insects, leaves, rodents, thieves, snow, and meteorites... and in my case, jet exhaust from a nearby airport runway, settles to create a hazy gray film.

Yes it will increase electrical contact oxidation, or rodent gnawing on wires, or UV degrading insulation as well as degrading practically everything the sun shines on. There are many many reasons and items of concern, like UV degrading your tires and headlamp lens, any rubber and plastic trim especially, but at the same time I don't mind if a vehicle that isn't brand new, doesn't look brand new as long as it doesn't look like a**.

Last edited:
Best way to keep a car outside is under a car port, and make sure there is no grass growing where the vehicle sits.

35.gif

Parking a car outside isn't bad, it is the norm.

Parking a car inside is of course better though. Less exposure to everything that slowly ruins a car's appearance and in some cases, function.

Well, there can be arguments for both. Lets take winter, you drive around on salted roads and drive home and park in your garage, does the salt eat away more at your surfaces in a warm garage vs sitting outside? I think better to keep the car outside in this case but garage is better for fact that snow and ice wont accumulate on or under the car...i wish I had a garage, i'd love to be able to wash and wax and do car stuff during winter.
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL
Best way to keep a car outside is under a car port, and make sure there is no grass growing where the vehicle sits.

This exactly-- they need to breathe.

Wife's got a new red car. We get 15 hours of sunshine in the summer so some time in the garage will be good for it just to keep the paint from fading. Come winter, though, I don't want it sitting in a humid, near-freezing salty swamp.

Originally Posted by Vern_in_IL

Sure … that's way better than in the open. We have two spaces at a weekend condo. One under a carport and the other in the open. One vehicle is dry or frost free (snow is rare for us) … the other is not.
We have serious UV here too.

Unless the car is stored like fine art, any car, parked anywhere is "bad". They're made to run and be used.

Obviously keeping a roof over it and walls around it help it look prettier for longer.

Sun has never killed a car in Buffalo NY. I wish!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
The sun is what kills cars the most.

Daughters can wreak havoc too.

Originally Posted by Kjmack
I wouldn't bother buying a nice car if I had to park outside .

Amazing how many do … and that $40k boat in the blazing sun until it's garbage too …

Since there aren't basements here to fill full of stuff people fill their garages with worthless things and $50k (or more or less) worth of vehicles sits out in the sun and heat.

I can't figure out why the '86 Samurai and '14 RAV4 are in the garage and the '18 Titan sits out....

At work mine have to sit outside anyway... usually the sun is set any by the time I get home. So not parking in the garage doesn't change the sun exposure much.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Since there aren't basements here to fill full of stuff people fill their garages with worthless things and $50k (or more or less) worth of vehicles sits out in the sun and heat.

I can't figure out why the '86 Samurai and '14 RAV4 are in the garage and the '18 Titan sits out....

Great comment. I see this as well. Garages filled with useless junk. It's piled and stacked so full they don't even know what's in there or where anything is. Every several years they hold a garage sale to sell it all for pennies on the dollar so they can start the process over again.

A garage is the best place for your vehicles. Keeps the elements off and also the two legged critters away of which we have a ton of around here.

Lots of people on here are ridiculing members that keep their vehicles for 10 years plus. I have yet to see sun and rain ruin a vehicle in 10-15 years. Salt is the only one that I'm aware of that can do this. Besides, a daily driven econobox is more likely to be taken out of service by a minor accident, then element exposure.

If we're talking 20 years and more, then a dry garage will make a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back