parking car in garage make any differance on oil w

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I park my car in a garage can I get away with using a thicker oil? Say a 5-30 instead of a 5-20? Since it would never start cold?

My brother's F150 calls for 5w20 and its had 5w30/10w30 most of its life. No really cold starts but the truck has 180K miles and still runs great, he doesn't even take very good care of it at all. Last OCI was Mobil Clean 5000 5w30 and I guess he thought it was called Mobil Clean 17000
06.gif

Needless to say I changed the oil before I took it camping again with MC5000 5w30.

its funny panthermike because I responded to your post which made me think of this. If its ok to use a thicker oil in AZ because you dont see cold starts couldent I just use 5-30 all year long instead of just in the summer? I use 5-20 in winter and 5-30 in summer but I'm just thinking about just doing one. This winter I just cheated and used 0-30 amsoil and I'm sure its fine to use all year long but I enjoy tinkering with my cars too much to leave amsoil in for 6 to 8 months. I think im going to go back to my yb pennz and just need to plan out what wt or if I'll switch in the winter.

Last edited:
What's the difference in low temperature viscosity between your 5-20 and your 5-30? None? Almost nothing?

I suppose if you lived in Fairbanks or the Arctic Circle with the Ice Road Truckers, indoor parking would make a difference. But in Portland I'd be more concerned of an anti-Starbucks protester damaging my truck.

Originally Posted By: bretfraz
What's the difference in low temperature viscosity between your 5-20 and your 5-30? None? Almost nothing?

I suppose if you lived in Fairbanks or the Arctic Circle with the Ice Road Truckers, indoor parking would make a difference. But in Portland I'd be more concerned of an anti-Starbucks protester damaging my truck.

Thats true! We are a violant people when it comes to coffee, beer, wine, food, and the struggle between the people who drive cars and the maniacs that ride their bikes 10 miles to work in the rain in 40 degree temps.

Lots of crazy hippies to go around! I made a request for a plate for my scone at a local coffee shop and was told by the barista that its people like me who are killing the earth because now the water system would be even more polluted from the deturgent they would have to use to wash my plate.

My dad and I got in his H2 lit up a couple of cigars and went out to kill the first salmon, sealion, or baby seal we found!

Originally Posted By: ryland
If I park my car in a garage can I get away with using a thicker oil? Say a 5-30 instead of a 5-20? Since it would never start cold?

Starting your car in your garage constitutes less than half your startups, given shopping trips, parking at work, etc. So you can't really say it would "never start cold".

However, you're asking about 5W-30 and 5W-20, both oils have aprrox the same cold viscosity.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Starting your car in your garage constitutes less than half your startups, given shopping trips, parking at work, etc. So you can't really say it would "never start cold".

However, you're asking about 5W-30 and 5W-20, both oils have aprrox the same cold viscosity.

+1

My dad and I got in his H2 lit up a couple of cigars and went out to kill the first salmon, sealion, or baby seal we found!

Ok, but what did you do to upset those people?
grin2.gif
The only concern I would have with 5w20 or 5w30 is whether your engine has a VCT operated by oil pressure.

Last edited:
In the dead of winter check the temps in the garage vs outside. I bet it's at least 10F warmer in the garage, maybe 15.

If the car sits in the garage over night it is starting cold. Use the oil that the mfg spec'd for the car, and don't worry.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

If the car sits in the garage over night it is starting cold. Use the oil that the mfg spec'd for the car, and don't worry.

There is virtually no difference ( zero, zilch, nada ) between the cold viscosities of 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils. Your car will start the same with 5W-30 as it would with 5W-20.

There is virtually no difference ( zero, zilch, nada ) between the cold viscosities of 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils. Your car will start the same with 5W-30 as it would with 5W-20.

Not true as there are variable pour points between different brands of 5w30. Depends on the oil, synthetic vs dino etc.

We have the garage that is built in to the house, and stays a nice 50F+ in the winter. :D I almost feel guilty to drive the car in the snow..

And no, i do not think it would make any difference. I would just use 5-30, and not worry about it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PT1

Not true as there are variable pour points between different brands of 5w30. Depends on the oil, synthetic vs dino etc.

Well, he's using SSO right now, so I figured he was talking about syn. And the pour points between synthetic 5W-20 and 5W-30 all come in around -25F to -50F, or close to that. And given that he lives in Portland, Oregon, there will be no difference for him in cold starts between those oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back