Parked BMWs bursting into flames

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Ford had a similar issue a few years ago with their cruise control spontaneously catching fire on around 14 million vehicles. Ford knew about the issue for most of the 90s, but like BMW denied it was a problem for several years.

If I remember correctly they still used the faulty switches for a few years after they were proven to have started a couple hundred fires.

I remember back in the mid-late 1980's I used to see burned up LTD's on the side of he road all the time. Those were the only cars I've ever seen like that.

How many BMWs? Which years? Which models?
How many other cars caught fire from other manufacturers? What percentage of all vehicle fires were BMW?

Seems like someone has an axe to grind. Not many facts presented.

LOL.
BMW's bursting in flames. Really?
Cars tend to do that sometimes. That is why I always have two largest possible fire extinguishers in garage. It is product that is made with material that is highly combustive and on top of that now cars have all kind of bells and whistles that could ignite.
I was driving few years back on 405 in LA, and in front of me was brand new Honda Accord, still on temporary plates. At one point, it just started to burn. By the time couple pulled over and me and few other people front of the car was completely engulfed in flames. By the time I pulled out small fire extinguisher that I always have in the car, it was too late. That car was just fire ball.
I bet there are other Honda Accords, 2003 for example that burned etc.
On other hand it could be a problem. But, one thing about BMW's. BMW uses AGM batteries (like one X5 that burned). They are expensive and people go for aftermarket ones that could be great, or not so great. On top of that, those batteries need to be "registered." Meaning with device hooked up to OBD you need to "tell" to ECU that you installed new battery so that ECU adjust charging accordingly. Otherwise all slew of problems can happen.

Interesting. I will say that within the last 5 years I have seen more car fires (not necessarily BMWs) on the highways than ever before. My grandparents saw two car fires on the highway when they drove back from Florida a week ago. I assume this is because of the increase in electronics in modern vehicles.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Interesting. I will say that within the last 5 years I have seen more car fires (not necessarily BMWs) on the highways than ever before. My grandparents saw two car fires on the highway when they drove back from Florida a week ago. I assume this is because of the increase in electronics in modern vehicles.

I have no idea why, but I see a ridiculous amount of car fires on the highway here.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

On other hand it could be a problem. But, one thing about BMW's. BMW uses AGM batteries (like one X5 that burned). They are expensive and people go for aftermarket ones that could be great, or not so great. On top of that, those batteries need to be "registered." Meaning with device hooked up to OBD you need to "tell" to ECU that you installed new battery so that ECU adjust charging accordingly. Otherwise all slew of problems can happen.

Ya, a lot of people don't know about the BMW battery registration. Changing the battery capacity and not coding/registering it can cause a fire.

Now MB is starting to put Li batteries in their vehicles, that can only make it worse.

And don't get me started on the new R1234yf refrigerants they are putting in cars, an A/C leak can start a big fire as the new refrigerant is flammable. On cars that MB uses the new refrigerant in, they are installing automatic fire suppression systems.

https://www.ihs.com/country-industry-forecasting.html?ID=10659106922
Quote:
[/quote]

In response, Daimler has now issued a press statement outlining its position going forward on the issue. From 2017, no car sold in the European Union (EU) will be able to use the old R143a refrigerant, and Daimler has said it will comply to this timescale by using the R1234yf refrigerant in every one of its models apart from the S-Class and new E-Class, which will have completely new CO2-based air-conditioning systems which have been developed at huge expense and in a very short timescale by Mercedes-Benz (see Germany: 31 January 2014: Daimler developing own air-conditioning refrigerant ). Mercedes said in its statement that "The use of CO2 as a refrigerant necessitates the redesign of crucial components. CO2 air-conditioning systems operate at a pressure of more than 100 bar – some 10 times higher than that of today's systems. This means that all components including the hoses and seals need to be redesigned. Mercedes-Benz has drafted corresponding standards together with all German automobile manufacturers and numerous suppliers in the automotive standards committee of the German Association of the Automotive Industry (VDA)." The company has also allowed other companies access to the designs and regulatory filings which allows other original equipment manufacturers (OEM) to more quickly develop their own CO2-based systems. As a result Mercedes-Benz has become the first OEM to award development contracts and place production orders for CO2 air-conditioning systems and their components.

However, the deployment of the new system designed for the S-Class and E-Class is not feasible across the entire model range, according to Mercedes-Benz, in time for the full implementation of the MAC directive which will apply from 1 January 2017. In order to meet the standard required, the company will use R1234yf in its other model ranges. It is the only refrigerant produced on an industrial scale to date which fits the future requirements of the EU directive for air conditioning systems in new vehicles, so using R1234yf has become the only option available despite the initial misgivings from Mercedes-Benz. However, in order to reassure customers about the safe application of the R1234yf in its cars, the company has developed brand new technology, involving "a comprehensive package of vehicle's specific measures". In the event of a frontal impact, the technology sees a gas generator release inert argon gas onto hot engine components and therefore negates any fire hazard from the refrigerant vapour igniting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back