Paranoid about cooler line draining my F150 w/ 98k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I have wanted to change the transmission fluid in my 08 F150 FX4 through the trans cooler lines at the front on the truck for awhile but I am really paranoid about this screwing up my trans after I do it since it has 98k on it. I did a pan drop and filter change at 88k ish then refilled with valvoline mercon v. I have a couple jugs of Valvoline Maxlife multi vehicle atf and I was told it can replace mercon v. I am really wondering if I do the method by un doing my cooler lines and running them to a bucket, start the truck pump out 3 quarts the stop and refill 3 quarts and repeat till it have done the whole trans which it holds 13.9 quarts if this will put a "shock" on the trans and then create failure not longer after down the road. I hear horror stories about these ford transmissions, and my mechanic buddy advised me against it. But I want to keep the truck for the long haul and get the most life out of the transmission as I can. What are you guys advice? I know there are some Ford experts around here. As always thanks!

Do another pan drop/drain and refill, and if it has a filter, replace it as well.

This refreshes the additives and base oils, but does it gently.

BTW, if the transmission is going to fail, it won't fail because of a fluid change, it will fail because of internal problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: USAFACE
What are you guys advice?

No issue here with full fluid exchange on my F-150 doing the cooler line method.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
What are you guys advice?

No issue here with full fluid exchange on my F-150 doing the cooler line method.

What is the process you do through the cooler lines?

Pay somebody to do it with a machine, your method is going to mix the new and old fluid much more than using a machine. It will not cause your trans to fail unless it already has problems, run away form people that tell you that. It like saying your engine will blow up if you change the oil.

What is the process you do through the cooler lines?

Remove the cooler return line from the side of the transmission and slip some clear vinyl tubing over it. Turn on the engine, and let it run until you start seeing bubbles.

At this point, drop the pan (and clean it), change the filter, and re-install pan.

Before restarting engine, fill transmission with whatever amount you previously pumped out, and continue the same process (start engine, pump into bucket, refill with same amount) until you've replaced everything -- your truck has a 14 quart capacity, so buy four gallons and you'll be set.

Originally Posted By: Warstud
You should be pouring in the new fluid as it's pumping out the old.

No. It's really a one man job.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Pay somebody to do it with a machine, your method is going to mix the new and old fluid much more than using a machine.

If doing drain & fills, then yes. With the cooler line method though, it's just as efficient.

98K miles isn't the ideal time to start maintaining a transmission, but unless there is already a developing problem with it, a flush won't hurt.

My truck has had the trans flushed every 25-30K miles since new. It has just under 150K miles on it now and shifts like a brand new truck, and always has. I recently removed the pan for the first time in the truck's life at 148K miles, and it looked like new inside. No buildup on the pan at all, just a tiny bit of buildup on the magnet, way less than I normally would see on vehicles with this age and miles (but no maintenance history).

I don't think 98K is too late to start. I flushed the fluid in my Explorer with no maintenance history on the trans other than "it's all original" at 150K miles and it was totally fine before and after.

I've never seen a fluid change do any harm personally. I think that really only happens when a transmission is already failing and someone is trying to make a last ditch effort to keep it working.

The sooner you start transmission maintenance the better, and it's never really too late unless the trans is already failing. Sooner is definitely better though. Flushes since 30K have kept the inside of my truck's transmission clean, and have apparently kept wear down. The magnet had never been cleaned before 148K miles. To me, that's enough. I should have taken pics. I've never seen a cleaner transmission.

I dont think its worth the hassle. Its completely safe at that mileage however.
My manual says drop the pan at 100k and every 50k after that.
A guy at a local trans shop told me my truck has a drain In the converter. I haven't looked yet becuase its not time for a change, but you may want to take a look. If so there would be no need for a flush.

I have to say when it comes to atf changes, im more of drop the pan and change the fluid and filter every 30k kind of guy. It seems to be cheap easy and effective.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

The sooner you start transmission maintenance the better, and it's never really too late unless the trans is already failing.

Lesson learned.

+1

Drop the pan, clean it, renew the filter, put an aftermarket drain plug in the pan if it'll fit. If the torque converter has a drain, use it.

If you don't drain the TC, drain the pan, replace, refill, connect one line to an extension tube and a bucket. Start the engine in Park, pump out two quarts, stop the engine, refill, pump out two more, stop, refill, etc. At the end, correct the level, drive, enjoy, sleep well. You cannot pour in fluid as fast as it pumps out--or I couldn't. Draining the pan & refilling minimizes the fluid mixing.

If you don't know which cooler hose is the outlet, disconnect both and direct into a bucket. Disable the engine so it'll crank but not start. Crank the engine and note which hose puts out fluid. Put the other end back on, use the discharge hose for your fluid exchange.

I am really paranoid about this screwing up my trans after I do it since it has 98k on it.
USAFACE, have no fear, the cooler-line flush is well documented and presents no threat to your transmission.

if this will put a "shock" on the trans and then create failure not longer after down the road.
There's no such thing as "shocking" a transmission. That's a condition invented by people who do not understand how automatic transmissions work.

I hear horror stories about these ford transmissions, and my mechanic buddy advised me against it.
You've gotten bad advice. The Ford 4R70W is a very robust and trouble-free transmission if it's maintained even reasonably well.

What REALLY happens is that Joe Happy-Truck-Owner neglects or abuses his transmission (not saying YOU are doing this) until it shows signs of failing: making a strange noise, slipping, not shifting correctly, etc. He then takes it to Jiffy Lube where the "technician" advises him to get a complete fluid exchange for $150 dollars. 2 months later the transmission finally dies and since the fluid change was the last thing done, well of COURSE that's what killed it. This is how those "horror stories" get started.

And lastly, from a very highly-respected member:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
BTW, if the transmission is going to fail, it won't fail because of a fluid change, it will fail because of internal problems.
^^^This.^^^

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2924081/UTOA_08_Ford_F150_5.4v_FX4_87,#Post2924081
Man y'all make me feel so much better about doing this. Thanks for the advice on the cooler line method and video. My transmission is in great working order right now, not one issue out of it. I had already cleanded the pan, magnet and filter about 10k ago an refilled. I even had a fluid analysis done. So is it really necessary to do it again?

Do the math: your fluid had 88,000 miles on it when you did a drain & fill. A D&F gets about 4 quarts out. The 4R70W holds approx 16 quarts, so you've only replaced about 1/4 of the fluid. The rest of it now has 98,000 miles on it.

Two scenarios:

1) Either replace the pan with the so-called "U-Haul" pan which is identical to the one on your truck now, but has a factory-installed drain plug, or install a universal drain plug yourself, and do at least 2 more drain & fills in rapid succession, then at 15,000 mile intervals. Note: no need to replace the filter again each time...it's not like the oil filter on your engine.

2) Do the cooler line flush or take it to a shop that has a fluid exchange machine, like the T-Tech. This will replace virtually all of the fluid at once.

Fresh fluid is the life-blood of a transmission.

Do it with confidence. I have an 07 F-150 Screw 4x4. I bought it with 77,000 miles on the odo. I did the cooler line method at 90,000 miles using Castrol Mercon V. I did the same thing at 120,000 miles using Supertech Mercon V. The truck currently has 147,000 miles on it and will get a filter and fluid change at 150,000 miles. Transmission has been flawless the entire time.
If it has a cooler bypass valve I use a short tube to skip the valve and run the fluid through the cooler circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back