Parallel Parking

That video has been around for a while now-pretty good. They don't have parallel parking as a test requirement anymore in Minnesota. The new people coming here mostly couldn't pass it. Easier to dumb down than to get called names

That video has been around for a while now-pretty good. They don't have parallel parking as a test requirement anymore in Minnesota. The new people coming here mostly couldn't pass it. Easier to dumb down than to get called names

"Maryland joins neighbor Virginia (but not Washington, D.C.), in not assessing parallel-parking skills, as well as these states: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Florida, Illinois, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, South Dakota and Wyoming".

You're correct. Allowing people to skate with lesser driving skills seems to be the norm today. There are several states that are contributing to the dumbing down process. Unfortunately this translates into several other venues besides driving...... As the dumbing down process continues across the board in society.

Friend's grandson just flunked his NJ road test for failing parallel parking. He toppled a cone.

I wanted to say, "Your stupid earring didn't help you pass, did it?", but I offered to show him "the method".

I haven't laughed this hard in a while!

Will pass to the daughter, she was just learning how to parallel park today.

The first thing that came to my mind..... How do these idiots pass a drivers test?
In many states, it is (too) easy. For example, in my home state, my test consist of driving around the block and pulling into a parking lot...that's it. No parallel parking, no merging into traffic, etc. I didn't learn how to properly parallel park or back up (before the days of backup cameras) until well after I got my licenses.

The first thing that came to my mind..... How do these idiots pass a drivers test?

The first thing that came to my mind was where was dad or mom or granddad to teach this woman how to park a car?

Too easy to blame kids today when it's our generation or our kid's generation if you're my age that dropped the ball on a lot of this stuff.

Simply pull up parallel, reverse straight until your vehicle is halfway alongside the vehicle you’re attempting to park in front of , angle in, and finish if you’re OCD. It ain’t hard.

The first thing that came to my mind was where was dad or mom or granddad to teach this woman how to park a car?
They weren't needed because it's not required to pass modern driving tests. I call it trickle down stupidity, and lack of skill. Once you take it off the test, the kids aren't going to study for it. Then they never learn how to do it.

It's no different with the modern physical testing for police and fire personnel. All of the physical tests have been made easier so women can pass them. Written test for police officers have been made easier over the years, because too many minorities were failing them. (I could post links supporting this, but it would get the thread closed).

People, (regardless of sex), won't train or practice if they feel it's not going to be required. The end result is the quality standard is lowered across the board.

I have been driving for 30 years and can count on one hand the number of times I have parallel parked—and would have too many fingers left to give a New York wave. I vaguely remember how to do it, and will flub it the next time I have to. Just hopefully not that bad.

Simply pull up parallel, reverse straight until your vehicle is halfway alongside the vehicle you’re attempting to park in front of , angle in, and finish if you’re OCD. It ain’t hard.
I thought it was when your rear axle cleared their bumper, cut hard right. Cut back to straight halfway, then turn left when front axle clears rear bumper.

Great, now I need to go practice when my daughter goes and practices.

I have been driving for 30 years and can count on one hand the number of times I have parallel parked—and would have too many fingers left to give a New York wave. I vaguely remember how to do it, and will flub it the next time I have to. Just hopefully not that bad.
I agree that it's infrequently used. Especially out of urban areas. However practicing and being tested for it improves close quarters driving skill and ability to maneuver.

When and how soon to cut the wheels, and how much. When to straighten out. How to judge closeness to the vehicles in front of you and behind.

If you want to see the lack of this type of maneuvering skill, go to a boat launch ramp. It's hilarious to watch some of these these people. They're turning their wheels the wrong way, and get everything so crossed up they're lucky if they have the room to pull forward to straighten out.

Most can't even back up a jet ski trailer straight for 20 feet without jackknifing it. You would think they would go to a parking lot early in the morning and practice. But most try to learn at the ramp. It's almost become a spectator sport in itself.

Watch this guy in the Grand Cherokee from the 5:10 point on. I have to give the guy credit. He gets an "F" for performance, but an "A" for being determined.......... (You may want to kill the sound. The guy shooting the video is really annoying).

Back