Papa's truck - an oil change saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come with me my friends in my super fantastic time machine as we journey back in time to the banner year of 2008. A "banner year" so called because it finds me and my Papa at the Ford dealership looking at a brand new Ford truck with all the options. Papa has heard of great deals on vehicles and has decided that before he dies, by golly, he's going to have a new truck. Being the farmer type, he has lived in a most frugal way, pulling the belt tight and getting by, but now, full of years, for once in his life, he's going to drive something no one else has owned before.

We make the deal and in less time than it takes to tell, we're driving home in a brand new black Ford pick-up. Even though Papa is 89 at the time with a body worn by years of heavy lifting and hard work under the Florida sun, his lead foot does not fail and we fly home. He is happy and proud and I am happy and proud for him.

Time passes. Over the years, Papa drives the truck and because of failing eyesight and restricted body movement, he runs into trees, into ditches, into one of the canals that flow through his property, (that was a barrel of monkeys pulling said truck back out again with the tractor). Finally, after backing into another car in the McDonalds parking lot, he decides his driving days are over.

The truck sits under an oaks tree in the front yard and slowly turns green.

As of June 11th, 2013, the truck has 4,781 miles on the clock. My brothers and I are talking about this yesterday and I ask, "has anyone ever changed the oil on Papa's truck?" Everyone points at everyone else chanting "I thought you did it."

Oh.

This means that in the five years it's taken to rack up the 4,781 miles, this truck has been running on the original factory fill.

Suddenly, changing the oil in Papa's truck becomes an emergency as in "we have to do this right now!!!" Like doctors working in an ER, we set to work in desperation, almost as though the truck is going to explode any minute from such a neglectful oversight, (either that, or deep in our hearts we believed Papa would pull off his belt and beat all of us if he ever found out what we had done). I grab a wrench, a drain pan and some cardboard and slide underneath the truck. I pull the drain plug and am rewarded with a steady flow of thick black oil. When it stops flowing, I replace the plug and shout, "GO!" and my brothers who have raided the family farm oil stash, proceed to pour in six quarts of fresh oil. It takes all of five minutes. DONE!

That's when we notice that in our haste to grab oil, we hadn't taken the time to look at the labels and so mixed different weights of oil. Four quarts of 5W30 are now mixed with two quarts of 20W50 in a motor that calls for 5W20.

What should we do? We circle up like a football team fighting for the longest yard and decide that probably the weights would "balance" out once they mixed with each other. "Who knows," says one brother, "we might end up with something like a 10W35." Beer helps us make this decision.

"Someone should drive it" we reason, "to see what will happen." We cast lots and the lot falls to me. "You go ask Papa if you can drive his truck to your house. Tell him you need to borrow it." I go, I ask, he says "not a problem, just take care of it." I feel waves of shame wash over me.

The truck is now sitting in my yard. It looks so sad out there, as though it's missing it's spot under the oak tree. I parked it well away from the house just in case the motor starts to glow with an unearthly light.

Boomhauer_Man.jpg

Dang ol' bring a tear to my eye, man.

Haha great story. However, if I were you I would get 6 quarts of actual 5w-20, a new filter, and start over.

crackmeup2.gif

Loved the story telling...

Thinking the truck should be fine....it's in a hot area anyways where people like 10w30...

Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Filter?

ROFL!

double ROFL!

Filter change? Don't even go there. How many horror stories have we heard of people not being able to get the factory oil filter off of a new engine? Seems like they're always painted on and people destroy the canister trying to get it off, and end up behind a tow truck going to the dealer to get the filter changed. Make one try at getting the filter off, and if it's stubborn, take it to a good mechanic to do the honors. Then you can have your beer, toasting a job well done.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
That's okay...the filter is good for two OCIs...
crackmeup2.gif

I wouldn't go any longer than a decade, personally...

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Filter?

ROFL!

double ROFL!

Filter change? Don't even go there. How many horror stories have we heard of people not being able to get the factory oil filter off of a new engine? Seems like they're always painted on and people destroy the canister trying to get it off, and end up behind a tow truck going to the dealer to get the filter changed. Make one try at getting the filter off, and if it's stubborn, take it to a good mechanic to do the honors. Then you can have your beer, toasting a job well done.

I absolutely DESTROYED the factory filter on my focus. That thing was locktited in or something.

Awesome story, glad to hear at 94yrs young Papa is still around!! Shine it up for him & sit back and have a cold one also with him and enjoy some of his stories!

Originally Posted By: glock19
Haha great story. However, if I were you I would get 6 quarts of actual 5w-20, a new filter, and start over.

New oil and filter is not needed. Those Tritons will run on anything.

Love the story. Very nicely written too. Do you think you can post a couple pictures of your Dad's truck?

And a picture of the oil filter when you finally get it off!

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: glock19

New oil and filter is not needed. Those Tritons will run on anything.

Agreed.

Since the filter hasn't been changed, I'd run around with the current sumpful as a flush for a couple of hundred miles, then change both the oil and filter with quality products, ie. MC 5W-20 and a MC filte.r

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back