PAO Feedstock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ethylene gas.

Fred..
smile.gif

Thanks Fred.
A post from last month referenced methane gas & a search failed to verify or disclaim the statement.

Ultimately you can make most anything out of Methane to include ethylene itself.

There are different ways of coming up with the ethylene usually used in PAO synthetis.
One of them use methane I suppose, BUT ethylene is the precursor for the 1-ene used.

its own unsaturated bond (i.e. double bond) makes this synthesis practical.

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Woods:
Aren't methene and ethylene in the same class of hydrocarbons? With methane having the smallest molecule?

There is no such thing as Methene as -ene implies a double bond between carbons and the prefic Meth-implies a single carbon compound so no bonds between carbons, double or otherwise can exist.

Yes, Methane is the simplest and smallest hydrocarbons.
An Alkane, ethlylene is an Alkene.

Fred..
smile.gif

Is the 1-decene feedstock used for PAO synthetic oil produced primarily from ethylene gas? Or is it methane, etc. depending on the location of the facility & a source for the gas?

Although methane can be converted to other hydrocarbons, I think in the US and other places with demand for it, most methane is burned as natural gas. I also think it is the present commercial source of hydrogen. In fields distant from markets, it may be flared off, burned just to get rid of it. Since it is difficult to transport, other than by pipeline, converting to other products near where it is produced might make good economic and ecological sense.

I think much of your ethylene is produced by breaking down higher hydrocarbons. The one decene more likely is produced from ethylene or refined directly from the crude.

If the Muslims really want to destroy the West, they should be putting their money into oil refineries and chemical plants instead of arms. I think they also have a good supply of the other chemical basic, salt. They could run DuPont, Dow, Monsanto, BASF, etc. out of business.

quote:

Originally posted by Bob Woods:
There is no such thing as Methene

Golly Gee, I make one typo and you pick on me!

Bob,
Sorry I was wondering if it might be a typo (I make 'em all the time) but it was IAW with nomenclature for alkenes, only with the wrong number of Carbons so I thought it might be intentional.

Fred...
blush.gif

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
I think much of your ethylene is produced by breaking down higher hydrocarbons. The one decene more likely is produced from ethylene or refined directly from the crude.

I think LNG (liquified natural gas) and Naptha are the two most common feed stocks for cracking to produce Ethylene.
quote:

If the Muslims really want to destroy the West, they should be putting their money into oil refineries and chemical plants instead of arms. I think they also have a good supply of the other chemical basic, salt. They could run DuPont, Dow, Monsanto, BASF, etc. out of business.

Actually, all these companies are clamoring for agreements and joint ventures. The middle eastern governments let these companies do all the engineering and construction, and just take a share of the profit. There is a lot of construction going on there. Exxon, and, I think, Shell or BP have plans for building world scale LNG processing plants in Qatar and Oman. The chemical companies would love to take advantage of the cheap and readily available raw materials. This is the new petrochemical frontier for supplying the east.

[ December 30, 2003, 11:23 PM: Message edited by: Tones ]

This Board will not entertain Religion/Sex/Political posts. Thank You

[ January 07, 2005, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

This is an oil thread, not religion or muslim bashing, need to get this back on topic or it will be closed.

Thanks for your cooperation.

Dan

Naptha is where some ethylene facilities start from. For example, Nova Chemicals at Sarnia makes ethylene from naptha, and Nova at Joffre, AB makes ethylene from ethane, a constituent of natural gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back