Pan drop: Auto-RX Ford Ranger trans, 1300 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instructions say to use in trans for 1000 miles, drop pan and do a flush. I had to drive another week as the truck is my daily driver. Instructions also say if you have used additives in the transmission in the past go ahead and go to 1500 miles to let the product do more work. Anyway this is the pan drop. Amazing amount of silver stuff floating in the liquid and definately ferrous huh. The magnet is a flat piece, at first it looked like it had raised channels on it. NOPE! Yikes. Truck has 80,000 miles and unknown if it's been serviced in the past.

That there is normal wear and tear, grey paste media on the magnet. As long as there is no big chunks of metal, your doing pretty darn good. Keep up the good work.

That looks 100% normal. I'm not sure what auto-rx is supposed to do, but that's what most of the few hundred or so pans that I've removed have looked like...very clean with a "fuzzy" magnet.

Could be the lighting in the picture, but the fluid looks pretty spent. Far from a healthy looking red. More than likely ARX helped clean out some deposits that would not have come out with a simple purge, IMO. For about 10 bucks worth of ARX, you are ensured that the new fluid is entering a clean trans.

Well thanks guys for the encouragement. I've owned very few automatics, and when I did I never seviced trannies, I just flipped 'em. The cars I've serviced in the past either customers or friends evidently were well maintainted and may or may not have needed a change then. As far as metal they only had a tiny "beard" on the magnets, not something nearly this bad...I would assume the metallurgy of all autos are pretty much the same, but i found my own Ford to be a little scary!

My truck never had any shifting problems and now notice no difference with the new fluid. I'm using Mercon V not synthetic as my fill in case i want to do it again before another recommended change to save $.

ARX will settle most of the cruds on the trans pan and magnets for ferrous stuff. I used to drain and fill every 20K.

In my Camry, I notice the car better in shifting however, it is not instantaneous right after the change and flush. So the new oil has to recirculate first. I have never had any problem with it either but now it runs like new or better than when I bought it at 37K, now at 165K.

What type of drain an fill procedure did you use? How long did it take to have the trans shifting like new, with the drain and fill mode?

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Could be the lighting in the picture, but the fluid looks pretty spent. Far from a healthy looking red. More than likely ARX helped clean out some deposits that would not have come out with a simple purge, IMO. For about 10 bucks worth of ARX, you are ensured that the new fluid is entering a clean trans.

True on the pix but I wouuld be more woried about smelling burnt then color. Color for me is like engine oil..Color 90% of the time means zero (ex: honey, black).

But the deposits look normal.

I still think ARX works 10X better in trannys then engines..YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back