Pam Cooking Oil For Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was at Ford today getting the ATF&Coolant changed and they were nice enough to wash the bugs of my radiator thanks to I-75..The guy that cleaned it off said spray Pam on the front of the radiator before getting on I-75 next time and the bugs will come off the radiator very easy with a garden hose..Has anyone tried this?

And if you put an egg in it, it will stop leaks, and you're about ready for breakfast.
lol.gif

You can always do a double-blind, do half the radiator. Like those old ads on TV for Selsun Blue shampoo. "This side's tingling!"

Originally Posted By: eljefino
And if you put an egg in it, it will stop leaks, and you're about ready for breakfast.
lol.gif

You can always do a double-blind, do half the radiator. Like those old ads on TV for Selsun Blue shampoo. "This side's tingling!"

Ive heard that. I even tried it.

Didnt work.

I once saw a post with someone saying they did that to "five vehicles." I can only conclude.. it didnt work.

Also if you believe that thenn you believe that sawdust does the same....
lol.gif

Pam is pretty much oil and lecithin, not much there to help with bugs long term.

Pam is sort of like WD-40, you'll hear 100 wive's tales about it and only a couple are a good idea or true.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Pam is pretty much oil and lecithin, not much there to help with bugs long term.

I only go out there [Miami-Tampa] once a year generally..It is only a 4-5 hour trip...The bugs though Alligator Alley on I-75 [sometimes all the way to Tampa including I-275] are nasty..I generally have to stop at least 4 times each way to clean off the windsheild..Even if it lasted only 4 hours I would be happy..If it is Love Bug Season it is even worse then normal.

At this point I will try anything.

Much easier, and a permanent fix. Go to a hardware store and buy a small roll of fiberglass window screening. Remove what you can to expose as much of the front part of the radiator as you can get to--cut screening about 4" wider than the width of the radiator and about 6" longer than the height. I double about 3" of screening at the top to make it stronger and then make two holes at each top corner of the screen about 2" from each edge, and put in a grommet at each corner (HF has grommet kits for about $2). Then attach through the gromment to some reachable place near the top sides of the radiator with a zip lock tie. The fiberglass screening will last for many years, and the bugs will never get through to the radiator. When the bugs dry out, they will fall off, be blown away, or washed off and away in the rain. I've done this to every vehicle I've owned for more than 30 years. It works and is a permanent fix for bug problems. And no, it will not restrict air flow to or through the radiator.

I did the same way as SatuenIonVue when I was in Minnesota years ago. The radiator never got clogged with bugs and very easy to clean the screen of dead bugs.

Oil wrecks heat transfer.

When I've got a radiator full of bugs, I squirt Bars bugs (same people who do Bars leaks), leave to soak, and hose off.

CT8 does OK too.

The LoveBugs are just a royal PIA. I had to use a Dobie (for teflon pans) to scrub them off the windshield. The restaurants with outside seating have to close those areas when its LoveBug season.

Give the PAM a try, even if it does not work, you have not lost much.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
I would think it would attract a ton of dirt too.
Yes, particularly in Las Vegas where a LOT of the dirt is micronic in size. John--Las Vegas.

I'd think a car bra would be better. A hassle to put on and take off, but it's sure to stop alot of the bugs.

Yes the bra and the pressure wash would work well..Good ideas.

The Pam oil sounded like a good idea when I first heard about it but does not sound like a good idea anymore..Worried about the dirt going at 80 MPH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back