Painting Winter Rims

Status
Not open for further replies.
The winter rims on my 2011 Kia Optima are staring to rust. Numerous spots on the outside and all along the weld on the inside. When I changed the tires a couple weeks ago to my summer tires, I sanded the rusty spots to bare metal and painted the whole rim with RustDestroyer primer. Any suggestions as to a durable, long lasting final coat? I think I did a very good job on the prep work so I want this paint to last a few years until I get rid of the car. I used Temclad on my Daughter's rusty winter rims last year and they look terrible this year. A friend mentioned urethane spray but it is very expensive in Canada... $33.00 a can.

See if there is a local powder coater in your area and get a quote. You will need to remove the tires so you can clean up the bead seats on the wheels so factor that cost in for R&R of the tires.

I'm assuming these are steel because you mentioned rust. I would probably just sand or bead blast the outside and repaint with some good outdoor rattle can if I were you.

I use Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer on the whole wheel & Rustoleum flat black on the outside-here's a picture of one of the xB wheels at the end of their second winter-
This winter has had a decent amount of salt, but no signs of rust yet. These were 14" Civic wheels that needed a decent amount of wire brush & coarse sanding to get the surface clean enough.

Last edited:
I used Krylon MAXX on my brake calipers a few years ago and it's held up really well. Prime and put two or three coats of paint and clear coat and it should last a while. I also used Krylon clear on my headlights and they still look good too.

Last edited:
Try CRC heavy duty corrosion inhibitor. Its designed for marine applications. I just did my winter runs with it. I have used it for years. Great stuff and relatively inexpensive.

Thanks for the advice folks. Now that I have them primed I am going to wait until it gets warmer to put the final coats on them.

Plati-dip by far is the easiest way to cover any clean surface. Easy to do, durable, and just peels off when needed. You can use it on many things to seal out moisture, etc. You could even paint over chrome with that stuff for winter, peel it off in the spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back